General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

So Boris now wants voters to use photo ID

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-queens-speech-voter-id-polling-station-a9253386.html

I dont drive or go abroad so have neither a driving license, or a passport, Is he taking action on an imaginary problem like has been levelled? 

Campaigners accused the prime minister of taking action on an “imaginary” problem while ignoring more serious threats to British democracy, such as anonymous political ads, dodgy donations and fake news.

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-queens-speech-voter-id-polling-station-a9253386.html

I dont drive or go abroad so have neither a driving license, or a passport, Is he taking action on an imaginary problem like has been levelled? 

I'm afraid you can't vote then. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

1 minute ago, Car Boot said:

I'm afraid you can't vote then. Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

you sound just like a brexit loving tory 😂

8 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Is he doing it for his own benefit or ours?

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Is he doing it for his own benefit or ours?

well its not going to be to my benefit as i dont have photo id, maybe he knows that after "brexit" he wont have these lower class voters on his side anymore so tightening it up so they cant vote for anybody else?

Edited by melthebell

29 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Id cards substitute perhaps ?

3 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Id cards substitute perhaps ?

Funnily enough on facebook old mates have also mentioned library cards, i dont want suggestions on what i can do, i want suggestions on why its a good idea, what the problem is, if it is actually needed, will it solve anything, or is it just an Eton toff trying to tighten up against the opposition? as thats what it looks like to me, and it looks like a bad thing

Edited by melthebell

14 hours ago, melthebell said:

Funnily enough on facebook old mates have also mentioned library cards, i dont want suggestions on what i can do, i want suggestions on why its a good idea, what the problem is, if it is actually needed, will it solve anything, or is it just an Eton toff trying to tighten up against the opposition? as thats what it looks like to me, and it looks like a bad thing

Works fine in Northern Ireland. 

2 hours ago, the_bloke said:

Works fine in Northern Ireland. 

Unlike the Assembly!

5 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

Photo ID requirements are one way in which the Republicans in the USA try to suppress the Democrat vote (along with gerrymandering, disenfranchising former criminals, and closing down polling stations or moving them to inaccessible locations, etc.).

Whether the photo ID requirement works in this way is still under debate, but it seems to be well established that voter suppression is the intention.  [The stated intention is to protect elections from in-person voter fraud, but as you say that's an imaginary problem, the rate being fewer than 31 cases per billion votes cast.]

ah, another way we are following in the footsteps of the mighty US of A then?

I keep seeing and hearing Lib Dem supporting friends bemoaning the FPTP system and proposing PR instead. This makes sense for the Lib Dems, as it meant in 2019 they would actually have won 70 seats instead of 11 and I can understand their argument. I then point out using the same system the Brexit Party would have got 10 seats instead of none and they seem to go a bit quiet.

2 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Before the election I went on about how the anti-Tory parties needed to form an electoral pact if they were to collectively stand a chance.

An electoral pact works both ways. What you actually advocated was that supporters of other parties should vote Labour. You made no suggestion that Labour supporters should vote for other parties if they were more likely to be successful. It's no wonder that people didn't pay it much attention.