General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

8 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

oh god not this again.

can't someone start another thread about unfair results and ridiculous numbers, when people don't like results?

So you think its unfair, I dont think you will be on your own  :)

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I genuinely didn't realise that.  I suppose I'm now a bit confused as to why we seem to have so many Eastern Europeans, for example, with car-washing skills and not much else apparently?  How did they get through the points system I wonder?

😉

I don't know if this is a serious question or not but I'll answer all the same.

The eastern European migrants are subject to freedom of movement and don't require visas for work or travel. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainSwing said:

I appreciate that you personally are only concerned about quality, not quantity, but I think that the numbers are important for a lot of people.

Yes numbers are important but it's unfair to just use percentages to show a difference as a percentage of the population when they both also use different systems on immigration control. All that tells us is that there is a difference without telling us why and that why is the important bit.

21 minutes ago, El Cid said:

So you think its unfair, I dont think you will be on your own  :)

It's more complicated than just saying this is unfair.

If we had PR, the votes would have been different.

I wrote this here, so no point repeating myself

The result does not bother me, because George Carlin, comedian and critical thinker knew where the real power lies. Whilst it is aimed at America, it is no different wherever you are. We are not in the Club. Warning, George uses the F-Bomb more than Boris's PR so be warned.

Edited by swarfendor437

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Delayed said:

I don't know if this is a serious question or not but I'll answer all the same.

The eastern European migrants are subject to freedom of movement and don't require visas for work or travel. 

They don’t get it mate - just have a preference for certain types of immigrants. 

and to think these people are able to vote - no wonder we’re in such a mess. 

Another interesting statistic that the GE threw up was the number of seats that Labour won in constituencies which had recorded a "leave" result in the 2016 referendum - 106, over half their eventual total of 203.

On 13/12/2019 at 15:23, DerbyTup said:

I see the £ is soaring now - highest levels for years!  US are queuing up to do a big trade deal with us, EU still want to trade with us.  Where did it all go wrong?😀

I see the £ has now lost all of its post election gains thanks to Boris potentially reintroducing a hard brexit - something that was not offered in the manifesto...

I wonder how many of his mates made a few million before he deliberately crashed the £?

Do people remember the roasting Ed Milliband got from the establishment and their media when he led the Labour Party? Red Ed, 'dangerous Marxist' and so on. Seems silly now doesn't it? His crime? Proposing a very modest redistribution of wealth from the richest to those on low incomes.

Jeremy Corbyn proposed a greater redistribution of wealth, but not even as far as Scandinavian countries or historical UK distribution and the establishment went wild on him.

If anyone on a low income voted Tory in the belief that they'll be better off, I'm afraid they have a hard lesson coming. Just remember who misled you and don't blame the disappointment on migrants.

40 minutes ago, Bryan Munich said:

Do people remember the roasting Ed Milliband got from the establishment and their media when he led the Labour Party? Red Ed, 'dangerous Marxist' and so on. Seems silly now doesn't it? His crime? Proposing a very modest redistribution of wealth from the richest to those on low incomes.

Jeremy Corbyn proposed a greater redistribution of wealth, but not even as far as Scandinavian countries or historical UK distribution and the establishment went wild on him.

If anyone on a low income voted Tory in the belief that they'll be better off, I'm afraid they have a hard lesson coming. Just remember who misled you and don't blame the disappointment on migrants.

Any Labour leader who comes out in support  of the people is going to get a total roasting from the powerful elite who control everything including the media. Labour Politician on lunchtime TV programme says she never got as far as discussing Labour policy as she spent all her time trying to constantly correct the personal lies about Jeremy Corbyn peddled in the media but believed by the voters.  

Every Labour leader since the 70s has received the same treatment; Michael Foot, Neil Kinnock, Ed Milliband and reached its peak with the villification of Corbyn.

Only Tony Blair survived because he was the elite's puppet, and carried on from where the Conservatives left off, carrying out many of their policies. He's now an establishment multi-millionaire. . . .

Edited by Anna B

59 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A lot of leave voters did still stay loyal to the Labour party just like most remain voters who normally vote Tory stayed with them. The problem for Labour is many voters who a few years ago wouldn't have dreamed about voting Tory have done the deed now and wont have shaky hands next time when the tick the Tory box.

Yep and once folk make that switch it can be incredibly difficult to win them back. 

I find UK & US politics hilarious. We have an Eton educated buffoon actor connecting with ex-mining villagers, and the Labour Party spending  their days obsessing about trans bathrooms and such like issues. You couldn't make it up!

Edited by 26b-6

14 hours ago, CaptainSwing said:

Sorry, I thought that the difference (or lack thereof) between the systems was exactly what we were discussing.  And I'd argue that percentages are a fairer way of doing the comparison.

No I was just pointing out to Delayed that his assumption that we have a points based system like the Australians have is false. As said using percentages is fine but what you are doing is in a sense trying to compare apples with oranges! If both system were exactly the same then that would be fine but they are not. 

Here is something to read that goes into a bit more detail about the difference and why Johnson wants to change it.

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.uk/resources/reports/the-australian-points-based-system-what-is-it-and-what-would-its-impact-be-in-the-uk/