General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

Your right. It's wonderful how the rich and those of inherited wealth and privileged have managed to convince the poor to keep voting them into office. At my local health centre yesterday morning at 7am in order to make sure I could get a GP appointment for that day, an elderly couple, one of whom seemed disabled ( speech) had walked 2 miles to the surgery. 

They asked me if I'd voted,  I reciprocated, and the man said he'd voted for Johnson and came out with the usual stuff about Corbyn. This was in a town which was the worst affected by austerity in the country, according to research, lowest investment by the govt and they voted Tory, ie. more of the same. Powerful undercurrent forces that persuade people to vote against their own social and economic interest.

Same on BBC news last night - endless parade of voters saying how we can finally get on and invest in the NHS,  improve public services, sort out immigration. They might do the last (though I am doubtful - I suspect they just want the immigrants from somewhere else), but surely won't do the first two beyond some smallish gestures (they clearly are planning to spend more, but its nowhere near enough to undo the damage they have done and seems largely to be concentrated in 1 or 2 areas of public services, leaving the rest to rot).

Mind you nowadays most people can find out anything they want at the touch of a button. If they choose not to, and only read drivel on social media or believe what is written in newspapers perhaps they deserve the government they get.

Edited by nightrider

3 hours ago, L00b said:

A couple of topical factoids about the GE2019 result, to reflect upon:

1 - vote make-up:

66m people in the UK

55m adults with the right to vote

47.5m registered to vote

31.9m actually voted Thursday

17.9m didn't vote for Johnson

13.9m voted for Johnson

= 1 in 5 Brit voted for Johnson.

2- vote representation in the HoC:

38.3k votes per Conservative MP

50.6k votes per Labour MP

331.2k votes per LibDem MP

Have fun discussing British representative democracy.

Its shocking.

23.1m people can not be bothered to either register to vote or get off their backsides and go to vote.

I did not see Johnson's name on my polling card, my eyesight must be getting worse.

8 hours ago, Albert the Cat said:

The breakdown of the vote by Lord Ashcroft is stunning reading. The lower social classes, especially C2 overwhelmingly voted Tory. Classes AB and C1 were definitely more left leaning.  Effectively, turkeys really did vote for Christmas. 

Unsurprisingly, the older demographic voted Tory with the tipping point at 45+. This very surprising to me that the WASPI support for Labour didn’t materialise. That was 3m votes that should have been hoovered up by Labour. Now, I don’t want to ever hear a single word from the WASPI group that feel hard done by. The courts ruled against them, the Tory government is unsympathetic to them. Only Labour offered them a way out but they were stupid enough to vote no. So they only got themselves to blame. 

Maybe, just maybe some folk who were not blind Labour followers and were WASPI women simply realized that £58 billion to pay them out which was totally uncosted by the way and NOT in their manifesto was just pie in the sky and undeliverable. Thank goodness not everyone was taken in by Corbyn's false promises, which could be describes as lies to gain 3m votes. 

ps, my missus is a WASPI, she did not vote for Labour either.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

Nice to see that everyone of the dolts who left their Party's to join others, some more than once all are now on the dole. Karma has come home to roost.

Every centrist MP who defected from Labour and the Tories looks to have lost their seat at the general election.

Over a dozen parliamentarians left the two major parties, most citing Brexit or antisemitism.

Some of the MPs stood as Liberal Democrats, others for the new party Change UK, and others as independents. 

The three most high-profile Lib Dem defectors – Chuka Umunna, Sam Gyimah and Lucinia Berger – failed to win their London target seats, as did the other defectors. in Altrincham and Sale West, former Labour MP Angela Smith came a distant third running as a Lib Dem, while former Tory Philip Lee came second in Wokingham. Sarah Wollaston lost to the Conservatives in Totnes. 

Among the remaining Change UK MPs, and despite hopes that their personal votes would help propel them over the line, Mike Gapes came a distant third in Ilford South, while Chris Leslie came fourth in Nottingham East with 3.6 per cent of the vote. 

In Broxtowe, Anna Soubry shed over 20,000 votes to come third behind Labour and the new Tory candidate, while other defectors such as Heidi Allen declined to stand.

Angel1.

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Maybe, just maybe some folk who were not blind Labour followers and were WASPI women simply realized that £58 billion to pay them out which was totally uncosted by the way and NOT in their manifesto was just pie in the sky and undeliverable. Thank goodness not everyone was taken in by Corbyn's false promises, which could be describes as lies to gain 3m votes. 

ps, my missus is a WASPI, she did not vote for Labour either.

Angel1.

So your misses can won’t mind not bringing up the pension’s issue ever again. The law is against them as well as the sitting government. 

12 hours ago, Thorpist said:

Is it not the case that the new MPs from recently converted labour areas will give the PM strength to resist the drift to the right of the Conservative party.

As has been stated the Conservatives have been lent the Labour vote due incompetence of the Labour leadership so hopefully they will represent their constituencies and hold the cabinet to account for their decisions

Hahahahahahahaha

Theyll use their seat in Parliament to **** over those northern constituencies even harder. I’m surprised boris didn’t start his speech up north today with “Suckers!!!!!!!”

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Hahahahahahahaha

Theyll use their seat in Parliament to **** over those northern constituencies even harder. I’m surprised boris didn’t start his speech up north today with “Suckers!!!!!!!”

Damn right.

Labour could have won the election if they had a soft Brexit as their main policy. The Southern wealthy metropolitans forced the real Labour to eventually adopt a second referendum (with an option to Remain) which was the kiss of death for working class Northern Labour voters.

The People's Vote group destroyed the Labour vote and let in the Tories.

51 minutes ago, Albert the Cat said:

So your misses can won’t mind not bringing up the pension’s issue ever again. The law is against them as well as the sitting government. 

Correct in every detail, she has more sense than some who imagine that Corbyn could deliver £58 billion out of fresh air. As she says, she has never had it, so it's not missed.

Angel1.

7 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

Is that Murdoch, no thanks.

:hihi: Yes, I never noticed, does look like him!

It's this guy

11 hours ago, West 77 said:

The Conservative Party gained 43.6%  share of the electoral vote.  Are there any current EU country leaders who represent political parties that gained more than 43.6% in their national elections?   

I went to bed happy late on Thursday night knowing there wasn't going to be a hung parliament.  Coalition governments  might work well for other countries but thanks to the first past the post system the UK now have a Government that can get things done.

It’s the sort of things they want to get done (and I don’t mean Brexit) that worries me

2 hours ago, catmiss said:

It’s the sort of things they want to get done (and I don’t mean Brexit) that worries me

Exactly.

We may be 'out' of the EU by the end of January, (?) but we have at least another 4 years 10 months of Conservative rule to worry about. They can do an awful lot of damage in that time...

Edited by Anna B