General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

14 minutes ago, Delayed said:

I'm sorry but Boris and Priti are proposing nothing new with the immigration system. We already have a points based system for immigration based on the Australian model which was introduced in 2008.

Are they going to stop grown men with beards (or without beards) putting on a dress to take a pee in the same public toilets as young girls though?

1 minute ago, Mister Gee said:

Are they going to stop grown men with beards (or without beards) putting on a dress to take a pee in the same public toilets as young girls though?

Jury's out on that one

On 12/12/2019 at 22:32, Litotes said:

Remainers in their twisted desire to thwart democracy have delivered Boris for another 5 years.

Spot on.

A couple of topical factoids about the GE2019 result, to reflect upon:

1 - vote make-up:

66m people in the UK

55m adults with the right to vote

47.5m registered to vote

31.9m actually voted Thursday

17.9m didn't vote for Johnson

13.9m voted for Johnson

= 1 in 5 Brit voted for Johnson.

2- vote representation in the HoC:

38.3k votes per Conservative MP

50.6k votes per Labour MP

331.2k votes per LibDem MP

Have fun discussing British representative democracy.

Edited by L00b

21 hours ago, iansheff said:

So now he is in with a massive majority the 20,000 police that were going to be recruited to get us back to 2010 levels can be scrapped, along with the 50,000 nurses and the 40 new hospitals. I find it hard to believe politicians as they make it up to suit themselves and rarely give a straight answer to a question but I wouldn't trust Johnson as far as I could throw him.

He'll probably claim at some stage that crime has dropped considerably on his watch, and there is no longer a need for extra police.

15 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I bet you still haven't watched those lectures I posted you. You complain about this and that, and yet have no concept of what politics is. I've given you a chance to learn something. I know left-wing teaching profession doesn't like real info, so no surprise.

This is a good one and shows why today's result happened.

No, me neither. And I meet people everyday. The only things I hear are 1 liner headlines. I wrote about this in 2009 on here, and looking at it now, when I said that Labour had lost the voters that they used to rely on.

10 years ago I wrote it. Can't post screen shots though, and can't find a link to it! (sf hard to search with new software)

This lecture I picked on the 15 hours total shows this too though

Is that Murdoch, no thanks.

44 minutes ago, L00b said:

A couple of topical factoids about the GE2019 result, to reflect upon:

1 - vote make-up:

66m people in the UK

55m adults with the right to vote

47.5m registered to vote

31.9m actually voted Thursday

17.9m didn't vote for Johnson

13.9m voted for Johnson

= 1 in 5 Brit voted for Johnson.

2- vote representation in the HoC:

38.3k votes per Conservative MP

50.6k votes per Labour MP

331.2k votes per LibDem MP

Have fun discussing British representative democracy.

They won.

3 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I think you summed that up perfectly.  You missed out the LGBTQVWXYZ stuff, but that's o.k.  It's all part of it.  We somehow seem to have created a Britain where minority groups are so vocal that one could be forgiven for thinking they are the majority.  And the real majority daren't stand up to them for fear of being accused of being some kind of "ist" or "ism".   When grown men with beards (or without beards) can put a dress on and go and take a pee in the same public toilets as young girls, and folks daren't object to it, then I think there's something wrong.  Just like there was something wrong with the grooming of young girls in Rotherham, but folks were afraid to speak up.  We have to change that mentality.  I'm absolutely fine with accepting people's differences and welcoming diversity, to a point.  But that doesn't include letting them do what the hell they want to and eroding our culture and values.  This is something that has got way out of hand and it needs addressing.  

I like the idea to introduce a system based on points for immigration.  This has been in place in some countries for many years already.  Some friends of ours moved to Canada a while ago and they explained the system to us.  It seemed really good, because they can adjust the points based on what skills, experience they most need.  So, for example, my friend's wife is a lawyer.  They had more than enough lawyers in Canada, so her profession didn't score her as many points as her husband, who was in sales.  I read that the Conservatives plan to introduce this, it will be a good thing if they do.  

My biggest concern, I suppose, is public services.  I think a Labour government would have had a stronger social conscience and paid more attention to these than the Conservatives will.  I would be in favour of nationalising a few industries, like the utilities companies for example - and public transport - with a view to...making them work!  We won't get that under the Conservatives I doubt.  And as for the NHS...I'm afraid that no amount of investment from whichever party seems capable of fixing that.  It's more than just about money.  But a bit more money might help patch up a few holes for now I suppose?

It's refreshing to see there are a few sensible people on this forum which is dominated by a clique of extreme, left-wing zealots who insult and abuse anybody who doesn't share their opinions. I think immigration could have been good for this country if it had been handled sensibly, with strict limits on numbers to stop the population size becoming unsustainable as it has now and some consideration given to the cultural attitudes and practices of people from different parts of the world. If we've needed more doctors and nurses, wouldn't it have been more sensible to advertise those posts abroad rather then allowing hundreds of thousands of people to come in every year in the hope that some of them would be doctors and nurses? Public services are under pressure because of the sheer number of people using them, so Johnson needs to keep his promise to control immigration as well as delivering Brexit or he'll suffer the same backlash next time as Labour did this time.

1 minute ago, hobinfoot said:

They won.

Missing the point by, oh...about 10 light years, I'd say.

:rolleyes:

I see that the rich are very happy that Boris stayed in power, the people who bought the property in the link waited till after the results to make sure the Tories got in before signing the contract. If they can afford that amount for a property I wouldn't have thought it matters who was  in power.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/homeandproperty/mega-rich-family-buy-£65-million-home-after-tory-election-victory/ar-AAK6ExN?ocid=spartanntp

On 12/12/2019 at 23:08, Longcol said:

Give the workers enough austerity and they will undoubtedly rise up and overthrow the running dog bourgousie capitalists - I don't think so.

Your right. It's wonderful how the rich and those of inherited wealth and privileged have managed to convince the poor to keep voting them into office. At my local health centre yesterday morning at 7am in order to make sure I could get a GP appointment for that day, an elderly couple, one of whom seemed disabled ( speech) had walked 2 miles to the surgery. 

They asked me if I'd voted,  I reciprocated, and the man said he'd voted for Johnson and came out with the usual stuff about Corbyn. This was in a town which was the worst affected by austerity in the country, according to research, lowest investment by the govt and they voted Tory, ie. more of the same. Powerful undercurrent forces that persuade people to vote against their own social and economic interest.