General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

Goodness me.

Surely there's someone else you can post to :hihi:

A Yale course in Political Science by a leading expert in Politics, isn't the kind of comparison I was thinking to the average primary school and secondary school UK that I pick up in Sheffield.

15 episodes, all 1 hour. Watch and learn. It's a social media opinions free zone.

You can say that, add a daft smiley and add all the episodes you want you silly sausage. I’m not convinced.

Edited by Mister Gee

10 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

You can say that, had a daft smiley and add all the episodes you want you silly sausage. I’m not convinced.

Not convinced of what?

You didn't quote what I said right, so I don't know what you mean.

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

Not convinced of what?

You didn't quote what I said right, so I don't know what you mean.

Add for had?

On 12/12/2019 at 23:59, RJ45 said:

Looks like we're going to finally get Brexit done.  It'll be on Tory terms too. 

Remainers have got what they deserved.

I have friends who vote Labour and I have friends who vote Conservative.  I have never in my life seen so much hatred for people who dare to disagree with people who vote Labour.  Yes  of course vote for who you want and I will do the same.  We can all be friends.  Just don't try and force your opinions on anyone else.

8 minutes ago, Dales said:

I have friends who vote Labour and I have friends who vote Conservative.  I have never in my life seen so much hatred for people who dare to disagree with people who vote Labour.  Yes  of course vote for who you want and I will do the same.  We can all be friends.  Just don't try and force your opinions on anyone else.

So do I, I vote Labour. Who do you vote for?

2 hours ago, Dales said:

I agree.

But the trouble is the Tories' opinions are now going to be forced on everyone whether they voted for them or not, that's democracy, but the Tory agenda is every bit as extreme and far right as people say Corbyn's were left. It's going to affect an awful lot of people, even kill some, so it isn't going to be pretty. . . .

That's why people are taking it so badly. It really will be  a matter of life and death.

At least Jeremy Corbyn's policies would have helped people, they wouldn't have killed anyone

Edited by Anna B

Is it not the case that the new MPs from recently converted labour areas will give the PM strength to resist the drift to the right of the Conservative party.

As has been stated the Conservatives have been lent the Labour vote due incompetence of the Labour leadership so hopefully they will represent their constituencies and hold the cabinet to account for their decisions

The breakdown of the vote by Lord Ashcroft is stunning reading. The lower social classes, especially C2 overwhelmingly voted Tory. Classes AB and C1 were definitely more left leaning.  Effectively, turkeys really did vote for Christmas. 

Unsurprisingly, the older demographic voted Tory with the tipping point at 45+. This very surprising to me that the WASPI support for Labour didn’t materialise. That was 3m votes that should have been hoovered up by Labour. Now, I don’t want to ever hear a single word from the WASPI group that feel hard done by. The courts ruled against them, the Tory government is unsympathetic to them. Only Labour offered them a way out but they were stupid enough to vote no. So they only got themselves to blame. 

14 hours ago, despritdan said:

It was a choice between 2 extremes; 2 nightmare scenarios and in the end, people decided that the Tories under Johnson was less of a nightmare than Labour under Corbyn. If the Labour Party and their supporters want to start winning elections again, they need to pull their heads out of the sand, leave their bubble of political correctness and denial and face up to some hard, uncomfortable truths. Their failure to keep their promise to respect the referendum result was a major factor as were their irresponsible spending plans but the underlying factor that has made them so unpopular is their obsession with multi-culturalism and diversity and their determination to swamp this country with as many immigrants as possible until it's standing room only. There's a silent majority who don't feel enriched by decades of mass immigration and don't feel it's been good for the country.

Labour need to realise that people like David Lammy and especially the odious Diane Abbott aren't assets to their party but liabilities; the prospect of her as Home Secretary was enough in itself to lose them the election. I recently read on the 'Russia Today' website about the last election in Denmark where the Social Democrats got the highest % of the votes. They're a moderate left wing party who are tough on immigration because they have the common sense and honesty to recognize the problems it brings, especially when you have a large input of new arrivals whose cultural attitudes are incompatible with those of the native population. All we hear is how enriching it has all been and how they contribute more than they take out, which most of us know is nonsense. I've felt for decades that this country has been crying out for a party like that but there's no chance of the Labour Party reforming itself as it's been totally infiltrated by parasites who want to use it as a Trojan Horse to further their own agendas, whether they be Marxism, black power or turning this country into an Islamic state. Our only hope is that the more sensible members of the party break away and form a new party on the lines of Denmark's Social Democrats so we can at last have a party worth voting for.

I think you summed that up perfectly.  You missed out the LGBTQVWXYZ stuff, but that's o.k.  It's all part of it.  We somehow seem to have created a Britain where minority groups are so vocal that one could be forgiven for thinking they are the majority.  And the real majority daren't stand up to them for fear of being accused of being some kind of "ist" or "ism".   When grown men with beards (or without beards) can put a dress on and go and take a pee in the same public toilets as young girls, and folks daren't object to it, then I think there's something wrong.  Just like there was something wrong with the grooming of young girls in Rotherham, but folks were afraid to speak up.  We have to change that mentality.  I'm absolutely fine with accepting people's differences and welcoming diversity, to a point.  But that doesn't include letting them do what the hell they want to and eroding our culture and values.  This is something that has got way out of hand and it needs addressing.  

I like the idea to introduce a system based on points for immigration.  This has been in place in some countries for many years already.  Some friends of ours moved to Canada a while ago and they explained the system to us.  It seemed really good, because they can adjust the points based on what skills, experience they most need.  So, for example, my friend's wife is a lawyer.  They had more than enough lawyers in Canada, so her profession didn't score her as many points as her husband, who was in sales.  I read that the Conservatives plan to introduce this, it will be a good thing if they do.  

My biggest concern, I suppose, is public services.  I think a Labour government would have had a stronger social conscience and paid more attention to these than the Conservatives will.  I would be in favour of nationalising a few industries, like the utilities companies for example - and public transport - with a view to...making them work!  We won't get that under the Conservatives I doubt.  And as for the NHS...I'm afraid that no amount of investment from whichever party seems capable of fixing that.  It's more than just about money.  But a bit more money might help patch up a few holes for now I suppose?

Edited by DerbyTup

13 hours ago, Flanker7 said:

(…)

Albert was responding to a probable increase in deaths

Welcome to the new world of 'Dog eat Dog' everyone

There's nothing new about that particular world, it's the model which the Conservatives have been pushing for the past 9 years, advertised very loudly in their Brexit PR since 2016, and advertised still louder in their GE2019 campaign. 

It's hardly the Conservatives' fault, if people expecting succour from the State are daft enough to still believe in their advertised unicorns, and so vote for seconds.

That new world of which you speak, is the one wherein the Conservatives now have a completely free hand, to ram through all the policies that they (i.e. Cummings, Patel, Raab, IDS, etc) can dream of.

Accessorily, on the topic of the SNP's massive electoral success (and thus, its correspondingly-massive democratic mandate from the Scottish people to secede), that situation is what is going to drive the wedge in the Union past the point of no-return. That is because the Conservatives will stall the SNP's IndiyRef2 all they can -of course-  whilst hypocritically trumpeting their own democratic mandate to get on with Brexit : which will do nothing else but supply the SNP with still more political capital (as if they did not have enough already!)

Likewise in NI, in which the DUP has been duly thanked by the local electorate for its handling and behaviour of the past couple years, and electorally obliterated.

Looking at EU papers this morning, you've been all but written off in European capitals, and the noises from the EUCO this past week -whilst they were expecting Johnson to win indeed- are "the only thing you can get by Dec 2020 is a barebones FTA, with zero provisions for services (save for the EU's unilateral "no deal" sectorial measures)". So Johnson shouldn't expect any freebies whatsoever from the EU27 from 1st February onwards. In that context, the Labour and LibDem post-mortems, wearing their respective crosses awhile to reinvent themselves and restore a functional opposition, is the least of your problems.

"Dog eat Dog"? You're about to learn what that means at the geopolitical scale.

Edited by L00b

15 hours ago, despritdan said:

Our only hope is that the more sensible members of the party break away and form a new party on the lines of Denmark's Social Democrats so we can at last have a party worth voting for.

The problem is that, under first past the post that has been pretty much impossible. 

The social democrat wing of the Labour party chose to drive out the extreme left in the 1990s rather than break away and if they have the will then they can, and probably should, do it again.

Perhaps, now people in the traditional labour seats have tried voting for another party a break away might stand a chance but the break away needs to take with it a lot of MPs, councillors and members of the party. It also needs to build all the back office services a political party needs very quickly.

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

I like the idea to introduce a system based on points for immigration.  This has been in place in some countries for many years already.  Some friends of ours moved to Canada a while ago and they explained the system to us.  It seemed really good, because they can adjust the points based on what skills, experience they most need.  So, for example, my friend's wife is a lawyer.  They had more than enough lawyers in Canada, so her profession didn't score her as many points as her husband, who was in sales.  I read that the Conservatives plan to introduce this, it will be a good thing if they do. 

I'm sorry but Boris and Priti are proposing nothing new with the immigration system. We already have a points based system for immigration based on the Australian model which was introduced in 2008.