General Election 2019 - Results Thread.

7 minutes ago, Lord Harold said:

That says more about Corbyn  than it does about Johnson

Now you are being silly

8 minutes ago, lottiecass said:

Owen is on itv now, culture war is the reason labour failed.

Why is that relevant to my post?

Did you understand it? 

Looks like we're going to finally get Brexit done.  It'll be on Tory terms too. 

Remainers have got what they deserved.

Edited by RJ45

If everyone is honest, the system is broke. On Brexit - less than a third of the population voting for Brexit. If this were a strike ballot it would never happen.

In the meantime ...

George Carlin "Why I don't vote" - but be warned, the F-bomb is used quite a few times, a bit more than Boris's adviser!

1 hour ago, RJ45 said:

Looks like we're going to finally get Brexit done.  It'll be on Tory terms too. 

Yup - the rich spivs / hedge fund managers, Russian Oligarchs and various other rich people will get richer.

The rest of us?

49 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

If everyone is honest, the system is broke. On Brexit - less than a third of the population voting for Brexit. If this were a strike ballot it would never happen.

In the meantime ...

George Carlin "Why I don't vote" - but be warned, the F-bomb is used quite a few times, a bit more than Boris's adviser!

But it was not a strike ballot, it was a referendum where the majority of people who got off their backsides to go out and vote clearly chose Brexit.

1 hour ago, swarfendor437 said:

But without going too much off topic people need reminding that its the voters that count and not the population and this time the voters decided again.

1 hour ago, swarfendor437 said:

In the meantime ...

In the meantime...  it was democracy in action where people voted for what they wanted.

6 hours ago, Car Boot said:

George Galloway on Twitter:

"A #Brexit quake has just happened as I consistently warned that it would. They will seek to blame #Corbyn but in truth he is not wholly to blame. Those - McDonnell Starmer Thornberry Abbott et al - who hung the Albatross of the Anti-Brexit mantle around his neck are more culpable"

This was a Brexit election. The 17.4 million will not be silenced.

Correct.  Very sad though, that Labour ignored their friends in the north and pandered to their friends in London.  Very sad that IDS the butcher is still in a job.

6 hours ago, Longcol said:

Corbyn can now take up the Life Presidency of the Islington Allotments Society - the post he is best suited for.

No excuses from me - the worst manifesto since Foot and the clique round Corbyn deluded themselves into thinking they needed one more push after 2017 - not that they fluked it then.

Just glad we moved to France last year.

Yes, it's a bed of roses in France. 🙈

6 hours ago, Litotes said:

Yes Corbyn was the problem, but in winning the BoJo jolly boys will be taking us back to years of isolation, no trade deals, resulting in a depreciation of the pound (yes, it will soar tonight, but then we will see a slow decline in the value against most major currencies) and as a result, the standard of living will decline with the poor hit the most, unemployment will increase and the UK will become a leader in the third world.

Any rooms to rent?

Congratulations to all those that voted for;

Cheating

Lying

Racism

and Sexism

The UK is following the US in electing its own Trump... may you get what you voted for!

I voted to uphold the will of the people that cared enough to vote in a referendum.  It's a great shame that Labour didn't wish to honour that.

6 hours ago, Pettytom said:

To be fair, we’ve just elected a man who hides in a fridge, as PM.

Its tricky to dumb down from there.

I think that type of dumbing down started when Hallam returned Clegg, who employed a decoy whilst he popped round the back entrance of the town hall.

6 hours ago, Car Boot said:

Caroline Flint on Twitter:

"We're going to hear the Corbynistas blame it on Brexit and the Labour Uber Remainers blaming Corbyn. Both are to blame for what looks like a terrible night for Labour. Both have taken for granted Labour’s heartlands. Sorry we couldn’t offer you a Labour Party you could trust."

The Labour Party's second referendum (with the option to remain) has been completely rejected at the ballot box.

Another sad loss for Labour and Don Valley.  Caroline was one of the very few Labour MPs who had her finger on the pulse.  Labour would do well to get her back in parliament at the next by-election and let her re-build the party, but I fear even this massive Brexit cry is not enough to wake up Labour yet, and they're more likely to elect Jess Phillips as Leader, who will suffer Jo Swinson's fate, for exactly the same reason ie. having too large an ego.

This is brilliant. Who would have thought Yorkshire would forgive Thatcher so soon. 

Shame the poorer in society are going to pay for it all. Oh well. 

Bad result for ordinary working people and the less well off. I fear that the celebration of the hedge fund managers, oligarchs, and super wealthy will be bad news for the NHS and what remains of the public sector. The poor will be subject to more austerity and we all know that the cost of any  negative economic costs after Brexit will be passed on to the poor as after the 2007/2008 financial crisis.

My opinion is that Labours bad result  is down to a failure to accept the EU Referendum result which  Corbyn and the leadership accepted but large swathes of the membership didn't, hence the decision at Labour national conference to not rule out a second referendum.  Secondly the huge anti Corbyn  propaganda machine that was launched by the Press aided and abetted by high profile figures within the wider Labour movement, some of whom advised people to vote Tory.

I canvassed on several occasions in my local constituency and with my MP, ( re-elected) so i know what people were saying on the doorstep.

2 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

I voted to uphold the will of the people that cared enough to vote in a referendum.  It's a great shame that Labour didn't wish to honour that.

Agreed, but Brexit wasn't the only issue. Unfortunately former Labour voters who voted for the Brexit party or Conservatives may get their wish to leave the EU but will live to regret the outcome of this election. 

6 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Rubbish,  Corbyn was the problem, if they had had a better leader they would have done well and they were too blind to see that. Ask any Labour voter and they would have told you the same. I've  never known life time Labour voters switch parties, Corbyn is finish.

Whoever's Labour leader will get the same treatment in the Tory  Press . The more popular the leader, the more vicious the attacks.

Labours long term problem is the loss of 50  + Scottish seats which historically always backed the party. This changed after Blair's leadership years and a left wing turn by the SNP.

The SNP we're predicted to win 55 seats, not sure how many they've won.

Blair was extremely unpopular in Scotland after the Iraq war

LOL. Jo "I will ignore democracy" Swinson gets smacked in the face by democracy. What a joke she was. Possible Prime Minister 🤣.

Tonight has been hilarious. Can't wait to hear all about how this was actually the Russians.

There is a lot of salt on social media tonight. Mainly from people who live in a bubble and only interact with people that think their way. In reality they have absolutely no clue what goes on in wider society.

4-0 for Brexit I make it. Democracy won tonight. Democracy hating parties lost.

Conservatives officially over the line with 327 seats as of 5.07am with more to declare👏👏👏. Time for bed.

59 minutes ago, XXTickerXX said:

LOL. Jo "I will ignore democracy" Swinson gets smacked in the face by democracy. What a joke she was. Possible Prime Minister 🤣.

Tonight has been hilarious. Can't wait to hear all about how this was actually the Russians.

There is a lot of salt on social media tonight. Mainly from people who live in a bubble and only interact with people that think their way. In reality they have absolutely no clue what goes on in wider society.

4-0 for Brexit I make it. Democracy won tonight. Democracy hating parties lost.

Conservatives officially over the line with 327 seats as of 5.07am with more to declare👏👏👏. Time for bed.

I am waiting for universal credit to be rammed down your throats and I’ll just laugh out loud due to the repercussions. 

The poor needs their benefits cutting back so bring it on. You obviously do not deserve it. The people have spoken. 

Edited by Albert the Cat