Jim Smith.

Sheffield born and bred footballer and football manager Jim Smith has passed away today , The bold eagle has flown , R.I.P.   Jim a  Sheffield legand who managed many clubs in  a forty year career .

Edited by TomMix

1 hour ago, TomMix said:

Sheffield born and bred footballer and football manager Jim Smith has passed away today , The bold eagle has flown , R.I.P.   Jim a  Sheffield legand who managed many clubs in  a forty year career .

Yes sad news, Jim was Sheffield born and later on I don't think he had much to do with Sheffield football  altho' I believe he played for the Blade's junior and -perhaps- the reserve teams. Jim was a pupil at Firth Park grammar school and excelled as much at cricket as he did at football, I think Jim was from near Firth Park, maybe there, Shiregreen or Page Hall anyone know?

Yes that area , He was at Boston United as assistant to Howard Wilkinson in the earl days , They were life long friends .

16 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Yes sad news, Jim was Sheffield born and later on I don't think he had much to do with Sheffield football  altho' I believe he played for the Blade's junior and -perhaps- the reserve teams. Jim was a pupil at Firth Park grammar school and excelled as much at cricket as he did at football, I think Jim was from near Firth Park, maybe there, Shiregreen or Page Hall anyone know?

I remember him saying that as a lad he used to approach Hillsborough down Herries Road so could be any of those areas.

2 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I remember him saying that as a lad he used to approach Hillsborough down Herries Road so could be any of those areas.

Yes Jim I once read that and to get to Herries Road from any of those areas (and perhaps Grimesthorpe) one had to get to Longley Lane/ Herries Drive first, can't imagine anyone doing on a February afternoon-evening these days

Jim used to visit Idsworth Road working mens club even when he was a well established manager .no hairs and graces with Jim , just one of the lads.

13 minutes ago, TomMix said:

Jim used to visit Idsworth Road working mens club even when he was a well established manager .no hairs and graces with Jim , just one of the lads.

Well Tom, Idsworth Road WMC (proper name Firth Park WMC) is on the Page Hall/ Firth Park border, so perhaps a clue to Jim's early Sheffield years there,

Edited by St Petre
add

I 'm pretty sure that Jim was from Ronksley Cres,  Shiregreen.

R.I.P  Jim.