Sign in to follow this  

Site Access Using Kindle

My nephew has purchased a training/tutorial course which he accesses by entering a username and password on a "members" section of a https:// website.
Each tutorial section features much text as you'd expect, but also images in the form of diagrams, and occasional video with audio, on html format pages.
Up to this point, no problems... but he'd prefer to access it on his Kindle Fire instead of his PC.

When the exact same address is entered on his Kindle - using Firefox/Google - various site suggestions are listed, but none represent the address entered.
My knowledge of Kindles is virtually nil, so I'm at a loss as to how to help... in fact, even the course producers don't understand what the problem is either.
A suggestion I eventually came up with was for him to download/save each page to his PC and then copy them to his tablet. That would give him the advantage of not having to be online to access the course content, but apparently that "won't work because of the mixed media content on each tutorial".
I'm not sure I understand that - hence why I'm here!
Any ideas?

Edited by RiffRaff

If your nephew ignores the website suggestions can he actually browse the web site?

If not then I'd suggest the site has been blocked by the kindle. Try looking at things like parental controls and similar things.

51 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

If your nephew ignores the website suggestions can he actually browse the web site?

If not then I'd suggest the site has been blocked by the kindle. Try looking at things like parental controls and similar things.

That's the curious thing - none of the website suggestions show the site requested!

From what I gather, imagine copying the sheffieldforum address as currently shown above, entering it on another PC, but then having results shown for other cities (perhaps) or other Sheffield sites...but no mention of sheffieldforum!

I'll mention your ideas re parental controls and the like...that's a good idea of yours. Thanks...

1 hour ago, Phili Buster said:

Just ignore the suggestions and enter the typed address

erm....sorry, but that's exactly what he is doing!

22 hours ago, andyofborg said:

He reckons he's been all through the settings but can't find any reference to parental controls/similar.

If it helps, it's a Kindle Fire HD7, "Amazon Tate" model, Android 4.4.4, CyanogenMod version.

(Just repeating what I'm told! What it all means? Pass!)

The site suggestions are just that, suggestions. You don't have to use them, type the full address and hit the enter key.

5 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

erm....sorry, but that's exactly what he is doing!

erm...sorry, but ...

3 hours ago, andysm said:

The site suggestions are just that, suggestions. You don't have to use them, type the full address and hit the enter key.

I agree with you

1 hour ago, andysm said:

The full address is being typed. That's the point!

(And out of interest, there isn't an enter key on the screen 'keyboard')

If you adjust the search settings to 'Verbatim' - which, of course, makes all the suggestions disappear  and leaves only the original address entered - the screen proudly announces that it "did not match any documents"....

ok, to view a website don't use the search at the top of the screen, use the Silk Browser icon.

On 11/12/2019 at 22:21, andysm said:

ok, to view a website don't use the search at the top of the screen, use the Silk Browser icon.

I hear he's given it up as a bad job! (Not exactly the phrase he used, but this is a family forum...)

Apparently a "solution" suggested by the website originators involved  accessing the site's pages on his PC, somehow saving them as epubs (?) and copying them to his Kindle by USB.

He managed that, but then found out he had to upload them to Kindle Books? (I may have got that bit wrong. My knowledge of Kindles is scant, and he was a gibbering wreck by this time!)

Anyway, he found that he could access the site pages - without needing to connect, so they were saved' locally' - but it turned out to be the text only... some graphics were OK, some were missing....and none of the tutorial  videos were copied over.

I think this must link back to my original post, and the reference to 'mixed media'...

Edited by RiffRaff
Additional info deleted.