The 2nd Anthony Joshua V Andy Ruiz Fight Tonight.

Next on the list for Joshua looks like being Usyk, although Usyk outclasses Joshua in every single aspect of skill I cannot see Usyk overcoming Joshuas size, we'll have to see how Usyk develops in the meantime to make a proper comment.

2 hours ago, mickey finn said:

Next on the list for Joshua looks like being Usyk, although Usyk outclasses Joshua in every single aspect of skill I cannot see Usyk overcoming Joshuas size, we'll have to see how Usyk develops in the meantime to make a proper comment.

His debut fight was not very impressive, struggled with power even when he pretty much had free reign to land shots.

The opponent had no business being in a ring, he was just woeful and clearly at career end.

5 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

AJ got 60 million for the fight, highway robbery. He should have been capable of flooring lard ass in a few rounds, Billy Bunter v Superman, going 12 rounds against fatty was a bloody poor performance in my opinion., even if he did "win".

He said in the post-fight interview he intentionally held back big shots to ensure he stuck to the game plan.  Probably was capable of flooring him, but thats not what he'd trained or prepared for.

In the end it clearly worked, took pretty much every round and won the fight with ease.

13 hours ago, geared said:

His debut fight was not very impressive, struggled with power even when he pretty much had free reign to land shots.

The opponent had no business being in a ring, he was just woeful and clearly at career end.

He said in the post-fight interview he intentionally held back big shots to ensure he stuck to the game plan.  Probably was capable of flooring him, but thats not what he'd trained or prepared for.

In the end it clearly worked, took pretty much every round and won the fight with ease.

Agreed, he did win, but I am pleased I did not pay SKY £26 to watch superman back tracking for 12 rounds with Billy Bunter trying to chase him down. As said, a pay packet of  £60 million , the paying public did deserve better.

Angel1.

36 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Agreed, he did win, but I am pleased I did not pay SKY £26 to watch superman back tracking for 12 rounds with Billy Bunter trying to chase him down. As said, a pay packet of  £60 million , the paying public did deserve better.

Angel1.

You  didnt only get the Joshia fight for 26 pound you got loads of other fights as well  a 6 hr programme  . If youre a boxing fan treat yourself worth every penny brilliant  . 

2 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Yea but you can say that about many fights though, it's rare to get one thats 12 rounds of awesome action.

What about when Wilder fought Stiverne or Brazeale??  Both fights ended in the first round.  You could've nipped to the bog and missed the entire thing!

1 hour ago, spider1 said:

You  didnt only get the Joshia fight for 26 pound you got loads of other fights as well  a 6 hr programme  . If youre a boxing fan treat yourself worth every penny brilliant  . 

Several of those were underwhelming though:

Whyte was fat and slow, but he did take the fight on short notice.

Povetkin certainly looked his age and I was surprised that ended in a draw? 

Molina was terrible as expected, Hrgovic is shaping up to be decent.

1 hour ago, geared said:

Whyte was fat and slow, but he did take the fight on short notice.

Povetkin certainly looked his age and I was surprised that ended in a draw? 

Molina was terrible as expected, Hrgovic is shaping up to be decent.

Agree on Whyte and Povetkin.

Think Whyte may have been sloppy due to the drug investigation and potential ban, which he was only cleared of on Friday.

Hopefully he can re-group and get back to his usual self- I actually see him fighting Ruiz.

Povetkin is not a danger anymore, picking up last cheques before the curtain falls on his career.

Michael Hunter looked pretty decent, I hope he gets some decent fights in the future.  Perhaps he needs a re-match with Povetkin next year, get that victory under his belt and challenge someone in the top 5?

For sure the drug investigation was hanging over Whyte, it shows quite how sloppy UKAD are.  The same body took ages over the Fury case as well, I think that was well over a year?

Fury vs Wilder 2 is looking likely for early next year, pity it will be over in the states again.

Well nothing surprises me in boxing if Fury v Wilder doesn't go ahead- despite the February date being 'agreed'.

Either way I see Fury beating Wilder on points. Fury is the best boxer technically from all the current heavyweights.

Wilder will need to KO Fury and pray that this time he doesn't get up like Lazarus. 

On 08/12/2019 at 21:30, geared said:

To be fair Witherspoon was Usyks way of dipping his toe in the water, a few more fights at heavy and we will know what he is capable of, Joshua is already bigging up the Usyk fight but will have none of it with Fury or Wilder.

Yea you do seem to need a gimmie fight when stepping up.

Bellew was the same, he looked terrible the first fight against Haye, but come back a few months later and he looked every bit the heavyweight boxer.

Usyk needs far more power though, will have to wait and see if he can add the extra muscle without losing in other departments.

I feel the step up between a mobile punching bag like Witherspoon and the heavyweight champion might be too much though.

Edited by geared

There are weight classes for a reason you cant expect boxers like usk to keep fighters like wilder off them for 12 rounds. Plenty more  top heavyweights  will  stop usk he is only in it for the money reason he stepped up make him fight some of them first be fair 

19 hours ago, geared said:

Michael Hunter looked pretty decent, I hope he gets some decent fights in the future.  Perhaps he needs a re-match with Povetkin next year, get that victory under his belt and challenge someone in the top 5?

For sure the drug investigation was hanging over Whyte, it shows quite how sloppy UKAD are.  The same body took ages over the Fury case as well, I think that was well over a year?

Fury vs Wilder 2 is looking likely for early next year, pity it will be over in the states again.

Hunter won that fight easy disgusting decition  / Like to see Povetkin fight Usk but they will keep Usk away from him far to big 

Edited by spider1

All very valid points fellas, Usyk is too small to contend with the big boys I think, still it would be interesting to see him have a go.