Blades V Norwich

1 hour ago, NERVY-OWL said:

I've said many times before and during the season you've every chance of stating up. Most club's have a loss of form at some point which could see you dragged into it, it isn't a big points difference either way. I'd like Everton to go down tbh but I'd say Southampton or Bournemouth are more likely than them.

The target is to stay up so I don't think it's negative saying what I did. No blades would complain if you finished 17th

Can’t speak for anyone else but i’d be disappointed if we finished one place out of the relegation zone. With over a third of the season gone we’ve moved ( since the league settled) between 5th and 8th position. We’re unbeaten away from home, been competitive in every match, and really should have had something more out of Spurs and Liverpool. Our goal difference is the best 6th or 7th best in the division

7 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

I agree, that left a nasty taste in the mouth, which I didn’t  feel after our other three defeats. It was beyond game management it was pathetic at times. Only other time I’ve felt that was Norwich at home 2017.

Wilder seems to be a mate of Bruce and that might explain his low key response to the defeat

True. Most teams do a bit of time wasting if they go in front especially away from home but Newcastle did it for the full 90min and some of the playacting pretending to be injured was laughable.

42 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Can’t speak for anyone else but i’d be disappointed if we finished one place out of the relegation zone. With over a third of the season gone we’ve moved ( since the league settled) between 5th and 8th position. We’re unbeaten away from home, been competitive in every match, and really should have had something more out of Spurs and Liverpool. Our goal difference is the best 6th or 7th best in the division

I get what your saying but if you go on an awful run in the second half and finish 17th you'll be very happy I'm sure. Yes you should hope to get top half now but it's not the expectation of a promoted side to do that

To this general "observer" of Sheffield football, I think this could turn out to be United's most important win of the season. The "unbeaten in 7" stat had quickly become (as it can) "only 2 points from the last 9", and the first half performance at Carrow Road sounded distinctly poor. 

If they can beat Villa (lots of injuries, very poor v. Leicester) on Sunday, and reach 25 points, they're going to be a very long way on the road to finishing 17th! which the vast majority of Blades-supporting fans I know would have been more than happy with at the start of the season.

BTW, Wednesday are doing pretty well, and both clubs have probably some 3-4 points fewer than they really deserve?

For me, it's The Alex v Eastleigh in the FA Cup second round replay tonight. How the (once) mighty have fallen.

5 hours ago, KLFC said:

To this general "observer" of Sheffield football, I think this could turn out to be United's most important win of the season. The "unbeaten in 7" stat had quickly become (as it can) "only 2 points from the last 9", and the first half performance at Carrow Road sounded distinctly poor. 

If they can beat Villa (lots of injuries, very poor v. Leicester) on Sunday, and reach 25 points, they're going to be a very long way on the road to finishing 17th! which the vast majority of Blades-supporting fans I know would have been more than happy with at the start of the season.

BTW, Wednesday are doing pretty well, and both clubs have probably some 3-4 points fewer than they really deserve?

For me, it's The Alex v Eastleigh in the FA Cup second round replay tonight. How the (once) mighty have fallen.

Yeah but we're well past the start of the season now when everyone and their mother predicted that we'd finish 20th. So to repeat, as a Blade, I would be disappointed if we finished 17th. I don't think we're being considered as being in the relegation mix at the moment. The bookies had us as favourites but now they're putting 10 clubs below us.

You could say anything eg as Nervy-Owl says " " if you go on a losing run" if if if. We could go on a winning run ? Who knows ? Reality is that we're comfortably 8th with several other clubs on losing runs ie. Bournemouth, West Ham, and even Burnley, who are losing heavily

5 hours ago, KLFC said:

The Vanarama league has some good clubs in it. 

On 08/12/2019 at 19:59, Ridgewalk said:

I agree with you 100%.  In fact, I think we should be about 10 points better off than we are now as we deserved more from about 5 or 6 of the games played so far.  

It's hard perhaps for some folks to come to terms with it, but Sheffield United are a very good football team with a very good manager.  It's been that way since Wilder came in 3 years ago.  He's assembled a group of players who are "fit for purpose" at every stage that we've progressed through.  He's been quick to get rid of ones that aren't.  When we went up from League 1, those players, to me, were already performing at Championship level.  We absolutely steamrollered our way out of that division with 100 points.  It would take a fool, or a Wednesdayite, to have considered for one moment that we were going to struggle the following season in the Championship.  We didn't.  Far from it.  And it was only really a lack of depth in the squad that saw us surrender a promising campaign early in the new year.  But last season in the Championship Wilder had strengthened and once again, we blasted our way out of it.  

And so to this season and in some way I don't blame the pundits for taking the easy option of predicting that the three promoted clubs would struggle.  After all, the gap between the Prem and the Championship seems to get wider every season, so it's not unreasonable to expect that newly promoted teams will struggle.  What gets me though is the laziness of such opinions.  Anyone who bothered to take a look at the way Sheffield United play, with their innovative tactical approach, and the sheer effort they put into every match, would have given them a fighting chance of survival at the very least.  

Once again, we are doing much better than most people expected.  To be honest, we are doing much better than I expected as well.  But I've never said I'd be happy to see us finish 4th bottom.  My honest appraisal of this season was that we would finish 12th-14th.  The way things are going it could be even better than that.  And that I'd be happy with.

On 11/12/2019 at 09:29, DerbyTup said:

I agree with you 100%.  In fact, I think we should be about 10 points better off than we are now as we deserved more from about 5 or 6 of the games played so far.  

It's hard perhaps for some folks to come to terms with it, but Sheffield United are a very good football team with a very good manager.  It's been that way since Wilder came in 3 years ago.  He's assembled a group of players who are "fit for purpose" at every stage that we've progressed through.  He's been quick to get rid of ones that aren't.  When we went up from League 1, those players, to me, were already performing at Championship level.  We absolutely steamrollered our way out of that division with 100 points.  It would take a fool, or a Wednesdayite, to have considered for one moment that we were going to struggle the following season in the Championship.  We didn't.  Far from it.  And it was only really a lack of depth in the squad that saw us surrender a promising campaign early in the new year.  But last season in the Championship Wilder had strengthened and once again, we blasted our way out of it.  

And so to this season and in some way I don't blame the pundits for taking the easy option of predicting that the three promoted clubs would struggle.  After all, the gap between the Prem and the Championship seems to get wider every season, so it's not unreasonable to expect that newly promoted teams will struggle.  What gets me though is the laziness of such opinions.  Anyone who bothered to take a look at the way Sheffield United play, with their innovative tactical approach, and the sheer effort they put into every match, would have given them a fighting chance of survival at the very least.  

Once again, we are doing much better than most people expected.  To be honest, we are doing much better than I expected as well.  But I've never said I'd be happy to see us finish 4th bottom.  My honest appraisal of this season was that we would finish 12th-14th.  The way things are going it could be even better than that.  And that I'd be happy with.

I said 13th or 14th & in our first season back, like you, I'd be happy