Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Who 'owns' Emails?

Random I know but who if anyone "owns" an email?

For example, I send an email to someone, they reply and a conversation begins, I then decide to post these emails online. Am I breaking any laws?

I may be wrong, if so I apologise in advance, but so far as I know, so long as you have the other parties agreement, then that is up to you - effectively, the copyright belongs to you.

49 minutes ago, BobOfRoth said:

Random I know but who if anyone "owns" an email?

For example, I send an email to someone, they reply and a conversation begins, I then decide to post these emails online. Am I breaking any laws?

Once these e/mails are sent  youre then the owner be carefull what you do with them 

provided you dont show anything that could reveal the identity of the other involved parties (without their consent) you should be good...

Probably no one owns emails, however the content will be protected by copyright and possibly also assertions of confidentiality either in the body of the text or a presumption of confidentiality based on the nature of the material or side agreement between sender and recipient(s) that the material will be be kept confidential. I suppose there will also be cases where court orders prevent public disclosure of some information.

ALSO: e-mail "ownership", and defamation consequences, will presumably depend on which legal system applies.

An e-mail correspondence between users in different jurisdictions (domiciles)- even England and Scotland- is problematic.