Jenkin Road Historic On Fire?

Can anyone remember Jenkin Road being closed because of a fire underneath  the road?  I’m sure this happened in either the late sixties or early seventies.  I can remember that there were cracks in the surface with smoke coming from them.  Was it an old coal seam burning or was it material from the tip which is now Wincobank Common?

Edited by Groose

If this didn’t happen in the past 12 hours could someone please change the thread title.

Not only do people on here live on Jenkin Road but even more people  know somebody who lives on Jenkin Road. 😡

Guest makapaka
14 hours ago, Grubshifter said:

Can anyone remember Jenkin Road being closed because of a fire underneath  the road?  I’m sure this happened in either the late sixties or early seventies.  I can remember that there were cracks in the surface with smoke coming from them.  Was it an old coal seam burning or was it material from the tip which is now Wincobank Common?

I lived there through late 80’s / mid 90s and don’t recall anyone talking about this.

I can remember sitting on the road , probably 1965/66 in the middle of winter and the broken up surface of the road was warm. From memory I think I was told it was caused by tipping waste from the steel works nearby. I'm certain I can also remember a weak mix of concrete being pumped into craters to try and extinguish the underground fire. I was only five or six at the time.

I'm sure it was late '60's. Spoil from the old collieries was burning underground, under the road and water was pumped into the ground to put it out, then eventually road was resurfaced and reopened.