Proposed Plans For New Housing - Loxley Valley

You may be interested in this consultation about new housing in Loxley Valley.

https://newhomesinloxley.co.uk/

'Before we submit a planning application to Sheffield City Council, we are asking the local community to have their say and help us shape our final proposals.  

Our public consultation runs from Wednesday 4 December and Wednesday 18 December 2019. 

More houses, more people, more congestion. Malin bridge is already a choke point and now you want to add more for a profit at a loss of green space.

Objected and filled in your form.

I'm amazed at the location that they're proposing to use...looks like it would be houses literally lining the river.

After all the flooding in recent years you would have thought that would be the last place anyone would want a house?

Will this be another site where the plans state affordable housing to get planning permission only to be dropped after generally due to cost reasons (like they didnt know the costs in advance).

When will the council planning dept wake up ....

They also seem to be proposing building a number of bridges across the river, with implied use of some farm track leading to Rowell Lane.

I imagine Bovis gave up on this site for good reasons.

People scream for more housing to be built, proposals to build new housing emerge and people moan. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Edited by ohgoditsjames

Just to be clear - I'm a local resident and had seen this on Facebook - not connected with the housing company in any way but wanted to alert people!

I'm conflicted about this - there is a need for affordable housing (but the current proposal is unclear about this) but concerned about flood risk and whether there will still be public access through that part of the valley.

Its a lovely spot although it won't get a lot of sun during certain times of the year, but.........

Once again Malin Bridge/Holme Lane/Hillsborough Corner, it's the only way in or out......how much more traffic can these roads and junctions take.

350 Houses!  Is going to increase pollution , and congestion .

i would think 350 houses will have at least 1 vehicle

What about the provision of schools    Medical care etc  

This is a massive development, which would forever change the character of the area and over-burden local infrastructure most specifically roads and schools. It will destroy what is fundamentally a rural area, within sight of Peak National Park, and is in my opinion wholly out of proportion.

I can only assume/hope the figure of 350 houses is an 'opening gambit' and not a realistic proposal. A small, sensitive development of circa maximum 60-80 houses, could I believe resolve the problem of the disused refractory without destroying the area, but as ever money talks.

10 hours ago, ohgoditsjames said:

People scream for more housing to be built, proposals to build new housing emerge and people moan. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Mainly because all too often the housing doesn't come with the increased infrastructure needed to support all those extra people.

Just more cars on the road, more pollution in the air, more kids in the overcrowded schools and more patients at the GP.

5 hours ago, bazjea said:

What about the provision of schools    Medical care etc  

There's a community woodland and an 'aspiration' to plant some trees :roll::roll::roll::roll:

Edited by geared

I have really mixed feelings about this sort of development. Of course, it's very sad when yet more green spaces and lovely rural areas are swallowed up by housing developments, but on the other hand, there's no doubt that, with an ever-growing population, there's a huge need to build much more affordable and social housing throughout the UK. Ideally, the new housing developments should be built on brownfield sites, but I guess it's inevitable that there has to be at least some encroachment into greenfield areas to meet the ever-growing need.

I'm in my 60's now and I and my family have lived and grown up on the Sutton and Wisewood estates, adjacent to the Loxley area, since before I was born. When I and my brothers and sister were little kids in the early '60's, I remember our grandparents visiting us on the Sutton and Wisewood estates and remembering nostalgically how that this whole area used to be just old village housing and fields  and farmland in "their day".  

I do agree with previous posters that it's not just about building houses though. The whole infrastructure needs to be considered - shops, schools, doctors and dentist surgeries - and most particularly, public transport. My brother and his family live in Loxley and public transport is practically non-existent....especially in the evenings.