Would You Like To Take Part In Dementia Research At The Uni Of Sheffield?

Hello everyone,

I'm a researcher at the University of Sheffield - we've just started a dementia study and are looking for healthy people aged 50-70 to take part. You should also not be on a gluten-free diet. The study is happening at the Royal Hallamshire, and would involve having a blood sample taken, and possibly an MRI scan of your brain and some cognitive testing. Unfortunately we can't pay people for their time, but we can help with travel expenses to and from the hospital.

If you're interested in joining, or just want some more information, please email me at i.croall@sheffield.ac.uk or call me on 0114 2159151.

The study is about dementia prevention: we already know that doing things like not smoking and looking after our blood pressure throughout our lives helps keep our brains healthy and quite substantially lowers dementia risk. In this study we are interested in people who make a certain antibody in their blood after eating food with gluten in it. One in ten people make this antibody, and there's some evidence suggesting that carrying it over a lifetime could be harmful for the brain. This is the first study which is directly looking to see if there's any evidence of some brain damage in people who have this antibody compared to people who don't. If this turns out to be true, then it could mean that a gluten-free diet (which would get rid of the antibody) would be an entirely new way for these people to look after their brain health.

Thanks very much!
Iain Croall

If you’d like to help with the OPs research please contact them vis the means provided.

Thank you - Closing.