Jump to content
The Christmas Logo Competition is back. See thread in Sheffield Discussions for details ×

Loud Buzzing Noise Roxton Road/Strelly Avenue

Recommended Posts

I have been hearing a loud buzzing noise in the Roxton Road/Strelley Avenue area where I live for the last 2 weeks and the noise is getting persistently louder. It stops for about 2-3 mins every so often but it's all day and night and I'm now unable to sleep because of it.

My neighbour and I have tried to investigate where it's coming from but can't locate the source.

Does anybody know where this noise is coming from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tatybaby said:

Does anybody know where this noise is coming from?

Are you near any industrial units? It could be an air conditioning or refrigeration fan cutting in and out on a thermostat. If it is from an industrial source and it is going through the night then inform the council as they can have the owner fix it or switch it off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm afraid not. All residential  in this area. Thanks for helping though. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you live on the tram route? Could it be anything linked to that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nearest tram is near manor top or town. Only have buses around here. Hmmmmm. I shall get to the bottom of it lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teiephone wires tend to hum . Is it worse when windy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tatybaby said:

I have been hearing a loud buzzing noise in the Roxton Road/Strelley Avenue area where I live for the last 2 weeks and the noise is getting persistently louder. It stops for about 2-3 mins every so often but it's all day and night and I'm now unable to sleep because of it.

My neighbour and I have tried to investigate where it's coming from but can't locate the source.

Does anybody know where this noise is coming from?

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Are you near any industrial units? It could be an air conditioning or refrigeration fan cutting in and out on a thermostat. If it is from an industrial source and it is going through the night then inform the council as they can have the owner fix it or switch it off.

 

33 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Teiephone wires tend to hum . Is it worse when windy

If it's a buzzing noise (and low frequency) it could be coming from a way off, and blowing in with the wind.

 

The location you describe, and then add Top cat response, my immediate thought is check morrisons. They could be replacing (though 2 weeks sounds a long time), or redoing the refrigeration machines, and they'll have a large transporter truck plugged in just outside to store food in.

 

Alternatively, unplug the internet from the telephone plug, and see if it stops! :hihi:

 

 

(sorry couldn't do quotes right)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argh, that sounds horrible!

 

Some of the grocery stores near us have been putting in external refrigeration units in their car parks -- looks like a container from a container ship -- and they have external compressors and/or generators that make a lot of noise. If you are within hearing distance of a grocery store, check out their carpark.

 

Interesting mystery -- will you report back on what you find?

 

P.S. If it's a low pitched noise, check out The Hum. See Wikipedia.  I've never been sure how real this is, but it might be worth considering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Morrisons is nearby. I'll scoot round the carpark but I've not seen any there in the last week.  

The mystery continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has someone close by had a Air Source Heat Pump installed?  these sound a bit like an Air Conditioning Unit!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The buzzing noise has gotten louder....not the supermarket. Really is getting to the point I have to keep my tv on at night to sleep.

I ha e a video of the noise but cant upload on here for you to hear. Does anyone know if I can.or how I can complain about noise nuisance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.