Feminist Academic Condemns Mr Men Joke As 'mansplaining'

Guest makapaka
41 minutes ago, Branyy said:

I think you have it wrong.

It's the girl who got offended first... and last! And I wouldn't even call it minimal offence based on her reactions 😀 I  don't think MSN news are offended by her. Nor OP is. I am definitely not offended by her, I'm not angry at her. We write about it here because we find her ridiculous, foolish and a bit comical. At least I am.

You called her a "moaning snowflake"

Someone else questioned whether "black Friday" would be deemed racist.

Someone else said "people want a world were everything is correct"

If you're not offended - you're certainly bothered.

24 minutes ago, makapaka said:

You called her a "moaning snowflake"

Someone else questioned whether "black Friday" would be deemed racist.

Someone else said "people want a world were everything is correct"

If you're not offended - you're certainly bothered.

- I used that as a reply to the very same words

- joke

- "politically correct" was the exact quote and context is important, of course

I' m not offended. Bothered? Yeah, bothered to discuss it at online forum. Bothered to take any action to battle that girl? Nah...

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

I don't think you know what politically correct even means. Of course people want a world where things are politically correct - and if you don't you should. 

What happens now is the right-wing media put stuff like this out there which probably causes minimal offence to the person raising the issue - but maximum offence to people who didn't  - like you.

Then people like you write about it - and other people like you get offended about it - and before you know it there's loads of people all really angry at everybody who shows any offence to anything - like casual sexism, racism etc. - calling them "snowflakes" etc.

It's dead easy to see through - next time  apply this logic and you'll feel better.

I never said I was offended I said it is pathetic that people like the academic turn it round to sexism. 

Edited by iansheff

Guest makapaka
54 minutes ago, iansheff said:

I never said I was offended I said it is pathetic that people like the academic turn it round to sexism. 

So it’s annoyed you then?

30 minutes ago, makapaka said:

So it’s annoyed you then?

To be fair , you seem to be the one who is most annoyed  , iansheff  states he thinks it is pathetic how this academic has claimed a simple play on words in a children's book is sexist . What makes you assume he is annoyed by it ?

"Feminist academic" Now there's your problem.

53 minutes ago, BobOfRoth said:

"Feminist academic" Now there's your problem.

Why is that a problem? How is that a problem?

For start, I'm not even sure if the term academic is appropriate for a PhD student with no research outcome.

31 minutes ago, Branyy said:

For start, I'm not even sure if the term academic is appropriate for a PhD student with no research outcome.

What are your qualifications? CSE?

9 minutes ago, Halibut said:

What are your qualifications? CSE?

How is that relevant?

For peace of your mind - I work in academia and referring to PhD student as academic is a bit unusual here.

tSeems like she is making something out of nothing to me.

If you consider the  problems some women have (poverty, starvation, FGM, married off to old men as young teens, etc) in some parts of the world, moaning about an innocent joke in a book for children, seems a bit petty. Maybe her time would be better spend focusing on and helping women with actual problems?

Edited by Waldo

On 03/12/2019 at 19:56, iansheff said:

Is it any wonder the younger generation are getting thought of as soft when you see articles such as the one below, some people can't see something for what it is, a simple joke.  Do these people do it just to see their name in the media, see something they don't like and take offence. Years ago something like this would be just laughed off but not now it's straight to social media and get it all over the Internet. They want a world where everything is politically correct.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/offbeat/mr-men-at-centre-of-sexism-row-as-feminist-accuses-mr-clever-of-mansplaining/ar-BBXDTL9?ocid=spartanntp

It's just a sad reflection on society that ome people find offence where none exists. They prey on anyone who doesn't believe in political correctness . They are pathetic.