Speaking To Someone Re Council Tax

due to years and years of budget cuts the customer service department is severely understaffed.  There has been a big drive in recent years to push the public towards doing everything online. (Im not here to advocate the rights or wrongs of that or argue that some people don't have that facility)

Anywho, its been a long time since I dealt with Council Tax so not sure about apprentice exemptions.  If hes not exempt he can always make a claim for Council Tax Support. you can fill the claim form in online at www.sheffield.gov.uk/benefits.

On 28/10/2019 at 10:09, nightrider said:

Many councillors could not give two hoots what their constituents think though. Thats when pressure from an MP via the national party may instead help.

If the OP's son lives anywhere in the Hallam constituency, he'd be much better talking to a councillor.

My son has been trying to contact the council for    weeks as he split with his girlfriend and now lives alone . He’s wanting to get the payment reduced to person living alone . He has carried on paying the full amount . Today he’s received a demand for £700 threatening court action. He’s tried every number possible even contacting the complains department and they have said they don’t gave any other number . Does anyone know where you can go in person to sort it out . Is it Howden house ? If he goes in person will they be able to sort it there and then ? Emails haven’t worked either .

Thanks in advance .

4 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

He’s already done that while still paying the full amount . As I said they are claiming he owes them money . He has proof he has carried on paying . They are demanding money by Friday or they will take court action. 

How the devil can anyone sort problems out if they don’t answer the phone or emails .Working full time while doing so .Hes spent a total of 14 hrs on hold 😤

1 minute ago, autumn said:

He’s already done that while still paying the full amount . As I said they are claiming he owes them money . He has proof he has carried on paying . They are demanding money by Friday or they will take court action. 

How the devil can anyone sort problems out if they don’t answer the phone or emails .Working full time while doing so .Hes spent a total of 14 hrs on hold 😤

Might be worth his while to email a councillor (or all three) who represents his ward and also forward the emails to SCC to the councillor - shows evidence he has tried to sort things out and had no response from SCC.

If I need to contact them I usually email them and I get a response in about a week.  It saves the hassle of telephoning.

Thank you everyone for your replies .

council.tax@sheffield.gov.uk

Email them, tell them there is only one person there now.

• Name names.
  • State your account number.
  • Ask for an adjustment.

you will get an acknowledgement almost immediately (KEEP IT), but it may take 4 weeks for them to reply.

If you have the acknowledgement - just wait, or reply by email again that you have already sent (don't send a separate one) and ask them to stop the court threats.

On 06/12/2019 at 23:09, FORE said:

council.tax@sheffield.gov.uk

Email them, tell them there is only one person there now.

• Name names.
  • State your account number.
  • Ask for an adjustment.

you will get an acknowledgement almost immediately (KEEP IT), but it may take 4 weeks for them to reply.

If you have the acknowledgement - just wait, or reply by email again that you have already sent (don't send a separate one) and ask them to stop the court threats.

Did all that no joy ..He put in a formal complaint and he had 3 phone calls within the day .They actually owed him money . They need to get their act together. If this letter had been sent to an elderly person without family or knowledge of the internet it would have been very worrying for them . How could they have got it so wrong ,he’d never missed a payment yet letter stated he’d lost his right to monthly payment and had to pay in full by the Friday or court action would be taken. As I said he’d actually over paid and they owed him money .

6 hours ago, autumn said:

Did all that no joy ..He put in a formal complaint and he had 3 phone calls within the day .They actually owed him money . They need to get their act together. If this letter had been sent to an elderly person without family or knowledge of the internet it would have been very worrying for them . How could they have got it so wrong ,he’d never missed a payment yet letter stated he’d lost his right to monthly payment and had to pay in full by the Friday or court action would be taken. As I said he’d actually over paid and they owed him money .

Contact your local MP.   

I've found it's the ONLY way to be able to talk to someone at the council. I too have tried calling, emailing, nothing. My situation was not dissimiliar to this, and my MP was fantastic in helping. 

It also puts pressure on the council to actually sort themselves out, as you can guarantee they don't want MPs who have other things to do breathing down their necks. 

It's also worth nothing though that part of an MPs role IS to help their constituents with matters like this, so it's absolutely appropriate to go to them. 

Sheffield Council are shameful - how they can send (often incorrect) legal threats to people who aren't given the option to even speak to someone is a scandal. As you say, for elderly or less capable people it must be seriously distressing. 

So yeah - give up on trying to speak to the council by phone or email and go your MP, point out how appalling it is that the council can't even pick up the phone, and I'm sure you'll get it sorted. 

On 26/10/2019 at 23:14, Ms Macbeth said:

I wouldn't contact an MP with regard to a council problem, I'd get in touch with a local councillor.  They are the people we elect to run the council and if a service is not functioning properly then they should look into the why.

In an ideal world yes.....but they're absolutely useless. They only respond when someone like an MP forces them to. 

Of course, it's disgusting that these Councillors couldn't care less, but that's something for people to remember when it comes to voting time. Sadly the majority of Sheffield Council are the most lazy, complacent and arrogant group of people this side of Croyden Council!