Young People And Practical Skills

It seems that many young people in the age range 18-24 have no knowledge of practical skills like changing plugs, washing dishes in the sink and changing light bulbs.' The Good Housekeeping Guide to Homekeeping for Young People' which first came out in 1966 has recently been updated. Did anyone need the help of a manual for household skills when they first got married?

You could add cooking a meal to that list.

35 minutes ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

It seems that many young people in the age range 18-24 have no knowledge of practical skills like changing plugs, washing dishes in the sink and changing light bulbs.' The Good Housekeeping Guide to Homekeeping for Young People' which first came out in 1966 has recently been updated. Did anyone need the help of a manual for household skills when they first got married?

Many "oldies" can change a plug but very few can put in the correct fuse. So to to prevent "oldies" setting fire to themselves  and their homes, plugs are now sealed to be replaced as a unit.

Light bulbs last 10 000 hours.

Washing dishes is still the norm, have you seen the size of modern  flats? No room for dishwashers.

Practical skills evolve and are acquired as needed.

We as country dwellers were amazed at our urban cousins being so inept at surviving without a shop, deliveries or tradesmen. 

Who on Earth would go and buy a recipe book? Weren't they for urban folk to cope with rations or rich folk to maintain the their homes whilst their servants supported the war effort?

The poorly skilled city dwellers had to be educated on a national scale by  the Government from 1939 to the end of rationing. People learnt from all kinds of institutions, publications, films and radio.

Newsagents for decades after were full of magazines that people bought for betterment, economy and even enjoyment. 

In the days of old, there were many, many fewer skills needed- particularly in urban areas. Granted they probably needed more practice and physicality but that's evolution.

many years ago I used to work for a student property  lettings agency and we had such gems as 

The washing machine keeps stopping and starting  every 20 mins

The washing machine has turned all my clothes red

and my favourite

None of the lights and electrical appliances work but I don't think it is a power cut as a bus has gone past with all it's lights on

I don’t think that it is age related at all. Most people of any age are pretty clueless when it comes to practical skills.

I was 19 almost twenty when I got married in 1986. My mum taught me to do household chores while I was growing up. I have my first cookery book when I was about seven, perhaps younger and another more grown up one before I left primary school. Before I left primary school I was using adult cook books and made all my own food for my parties as a teenager. At fourteen years old I used to cook the main meal with my dad or start it before mum and dad came home. I did have instructions on how to cook whatever meat we were having. 

I used to say it was cruel to make me partake in household chores as I was growing up but I could run my home, hold down a  full time job and do day release when I got married. |I didn't have a freezer or a microwave, shops didn't do late night opening but I managed quite well. 

Some parents mollycoddle their kids too much but it doesn't help them in the long run. 

I'm hopeless, can't do anything.....

Mother mollycoddled me till I was 22, then got married and the wife took over for 48yrs..

Lost my wife just over 4yrs ago and I have just learnt how to operate the toaster :huh:

What evidence do you have that 18-24 year olds can't wash up or change a light bulb?? 

Even if someone had never done either before, unless they have some mental difficulty they'd figure it out in about 5 mins the first time it's required.