What Is The First Major News Story You Remember?

Cuban missile crisis.Thought we were all going to be blown to kingdom come.

The assassination of President Kennedy, and April 12th (my birthday) Russia sent an astronaut into space, Uri Gangarin, spelling incorrect.

Aberfan I was 10 and even though I can remember other news stories this was the first that resonated with me.

1956 Russian invasion of Hungary.  I was only 10 and went to ask our headmistress if we could take a collection for the Hungarian refugees.  She said 'no' as these things were decided at a higher level than the individual school. 

Yuri Gagarin - first person in space

Sputnik, and of course...

Cuban Missile Crisis - we really did all think that we would not be alive to return to school after the autumn half-term.  We now know that we were every bit as near to catastrophe as we thought we were! 

Over 60 posts on this thread and the vast majority are 'negative ' major news stories.

What does that tell us about the human brain? 

The Coronation I was ten and we got on the 102 bus to Heeley so as to watch it on a 12 inch Pie TV at a rich uncles house . There must have been getting on for 30 people in that house that day .

Churchill's funeral. Watched it on an old, small telly will the family when I was 7 in our terrace on Mulehouse Road.

2nd thing I remember on the news that caused family grief was when Bobby Kennedy was shot. We were in a caravan with no telly, but it was on the radio. My mom cried and cried. She kept sobbing "That poor woman...".  By then I was 10. Dad explained that they'd already lost one son and now another was gone the same way. It really got to my ma. 

Also that year I recall being shown the news. Footage of Russian tanks going in to Czechoslovakia. My granddad, who'd lived through two World Wars, was convinced it was all going to kick off again. Serious concern. 

Edited by wearysmith

3 hours ago, abbeyedges said:

Over 60 posts on this thread and the vast majority are 'negative ' major news stories.

What does that tell us about the human brain? 

It tells me how remarkable the brain is to be able to store information from years ago and then share your memories with other people.

On 14/04/2021 at 13:43, cuttsie said:

The Coronation I was ten and we got on the 102 bus to Heeley so as to watch it on a 12 inch Pie TV at a rich uncles house . There must have been getting on for 30 people in that house that day .

I'm with you on this cuttsie. I was 5 that year, all my family mainly from Heeley/Meersbrook all went to the Myrtle pub on Alexandra Road where some of us lived.

The kids were given a party tea upstairs with potted dog sandwiches followed by trifle with that awful cream of the day (like shaving soap) . We were all given crown money boxes and half a crown. The adults "entertained" themselves downstairs in the bar/taproom.

Regards,

Duffems

On 14/04/2021 at 13:43, cuttsie said:

That sounds familiar. I was five, and sat cross-legged in front of the Pye 12-inch TV. Behind me our living room was packed with neighbours as we had the only TV in the street - it looked like this. https://ibb.co/9qD2Yf6

Edited by hillsbro
Speling... :-(