What Is The First Major News Story You Remember?

The 1953 Coronation. Nobody else in our family had a TV (they were expensive) and so we had a "family gathering" to watch the Coronation live on TV as Richard Dimbleby did the commentary. There was only one channel - ITV didn't come to Sheffield until a few years later.

First thing?

Queens coronation 2nd June 1953, my third birthday.

Why did I remember it? According to big brother I was being a pain because everyone was watching the massive B+W television and not playing with me.

Apparently I went outside and threw a brick through a window to get some attention. So my very first memory was getting a walloping from my dad !

On 03/12/2019 at 12:29, hillsbro said:

The Festival of Britain in 1951.

Went there with my dad remember the skylon !it never got off the ground

The si king of 'The Flying Enterprise' and Captain Carlsson remai ing on the sinking ship.

The coronation.  Watched it at friends house with my parents I was 8 years old.  After that, my father being called up for the Suez crisis, then the Munich air disaster, seein Sir Matt Busby in an oxygen tent.

On 10/03/2021 at 14:05, VicD said:

The si king of 'The Flying Enterprise' and Captain Carlsson remai ing on the sinking ship.

First one I remember too.

On 10/03/2021 at 14:05, VicD said:

Although I remember the Falklands war, seeing the Iranian Embassy siege on television, it's difficult to know what I saw and understood then and what I have seen on programme's to mark the anniversary of these events.

I do remember clearly though the Lockerbie air disaster, I was watching TV downstairs on my own and my Mum and Dad were decorating their bedroom. A breaking news bulletin came on BBC 1 and I knew it was extremely serious so I went upstairs to tell them what had happened.

Elvis dying.... News at Ten during a school holiday "The King Is Dead" it confused me so much as we had a Queen !