What Is The First Major News Story You Remember?

Kennedys assassination,vivid because Id never seen my Mum in tears before,she was very shocked and emotional,I was just a young kid,but I recall it clearly watching a grainy b/w tv in our living room.

I remember Churchills funeral too,the commentator mentioned his horse which walked behind the gun carriage carrying his coffin,and I just felt so sad for the poor horse with its ownwer dead and the sombre music of the death march,I doubt I really knew who Churchill really was,but I was very moved by the pictures again on a b/w tv

I was about 4 years old when I heard of the death of King George the 6th in February 1952. I heard it on my Dad's Ex-WD radio set.

Edited by fatrajah

14 hours ago, staninoodle said:

Kennedys assassination,vivid because Id never seen my Mum in tears before,she was very shocked and emotional,I was just a young kid,but I recall it clearly watching a grainy b/w tv in our living room.

I remember Churchills funeral too,the commentator mentioned his horse which walked behind the gun carriage carrying his coffin,and I just felt so sad for the poor horse with its ownwer dead and the sombre music of the death march,I doubt I really knew who Churchill really was,but I was very moved by the pictures again on a b/w tv

I also remember Churchill's death as one of my earliest news memories.  There were posters up outside Glossop Road swimming baths where our school was queuing up for our swim lessons - we were queuing ages and so had plenty of time to read them getting rather bored.  I didn't understand who he was or his significance but it stuck in my memory for some reason.

Not sure if they were the earliest news stories I remember but the most vivid I remember from my childhood are Challenger exploding, Terry Waite being kidnapped, and the Herald of free enterprise capsizing.

I was 6 years old when Challenger exploded.

The Munich air disaster.  I can still see Sir Matt Busby in an oxygen tent in my mind.

Vividly imprinted on my mind as well as Lesley Whittle is the storming of the Iranian embassy in London

On 01/12/2019 at 22:16, ianparkin said:

Aberfan for me 

Same here I was 10 at the time and remember mum and other adults crying.

Edited by hobinfoot

Daily Express front page headlines read "Churchill steps down". Dad was reading the sport on the back page. About 1955 I think.

I remember Kennedy being shot it was on the telly ( we were posh then) and my mum shouted at me for lying