What Is The First Major News Story You Remember?

On 02/12/2019 at 10:49, francypants said:

Aberfan.  ( I was 11 years old when it happened )

I remember that ; 2 years later I joined the RAF and I was posted  down to South Wales.  I became friends with a chap who came from Aberfan; and one week end he took me up there to his house.  The land slide missed their home by 4 houses . It was a daunting experience to say the least.  Something that I will remember all my life.     

2 hours ago, IRONMONGER said:

I don’t suppose that anyone else will remember my first big news story. I can remember the sinking of the ‘Flying Enterprise ‘ in the channel around 1951. I recall my mum demonstrating how the ship keeled over by using a clothes brush!

I must search the incident on the internet.

I also remember a top secret American bomber crashing onto Lodge Moor Hospital c.1954.

Also, Halibut, the coach that the IRA blew up became known as the M62 bomb.

Cheers for that IRONMONGER.  It was 1974 and I was 7 years old.

On 01/12/2019 at 22:09, jane2008 said:

The first major one was  the kidnapping of Lesley Whittle, I would have been around 10 or 11.  I really wanted her to be found safe.

At the time of Lesley Whittles kidnap her boyfriend was attending a Sheffield university, Leslie was going to attend the same place also.

The police had to rule out any kind of prank and interviewed the boyfriend to rule him out. Its horrible what happened to Leslie in the drains

at Bathpool park all those years ago (1974) What a nasty piece of work the kidnapper was, Donald Neilson known as the Black Panther.

In 1974 I was a doctor who lived in Highley,Shropshire which was Leslie Whittle's home.Her father Ron owned the local bus company,Whittles Coaches.The village GP was pretty useless so Ron and his family persuaded me to become their private GP.I treated Lesley as a teenager on at least 2 occasions.When she went missing the police wanted to search every house and outbuilding in the village. Of the  4000 or so population there was only one objector-the methodist minister who made himself even more unpopular than he already was.He turned out to be blameless although he was the unofficial village layer-out of the dead which had obviously led to dark deed speculation.

On a separate note my first  news memory was King George VI opening Ladybower reservoir.

Even though I was only 10 years old, Aberfan, also The Moors murders further down the line Elvis and John Lennon!

On 02/12/2019 at 09:35, abbeyedges said:

Kennedy assassination. 

Churchill funeral.

Aberfan.

Probably in that order.

Saved me typing👏

Either Kennedy assassination or Cuban missile crisis, whichever came first

James Hanratty hung

V.E. day for me, I remember everywhere there were bonfires to celebrate. I can remember a sailor walking across ours on a door.

Captain Carlson and The Flying Enterprise which was sinking not far away from Falmouth. He refused to leave his ship even though it was in very real danger of sinking. I understand that this was January 1952 when I was 5 years old. It fascinated me. 

Grannypat

1970 Chelsea v Leeds United  F.A. Cup Final, went to a replay at Old Trafford? and Leeds lost.