What Is The First Major News Story You Remember?

The death of Elvis.    Broke my heart 😪

43 minutes ago, SkyeEdge said:

The death of Elvis.    Broke my heart 😪

We were on holiday on the east coast, I remember going into the caravan and finding my Mum in tears because he'd died. I was 4.

14 hours ago, Allen said:

Aberfan .

Seeing the reconstruction recently on "The Crown" on Netflix brought back the memories.

Slightly off topic but when they showed that clip on Googlebox last week, only the Welsh couple and the woman from the caravan in Hull had ever heard of Aberfan. The Welsh couple had tears in their eyes as they talked about it which shows how raw the memories of the disaster still are in Wales, over 50 years later. 😢

A6 Murder Trial - as per usual my Grandad took me, my brother and two cousins out for a drive on a Sunday - we visited some friends of his and I clearly remember the headline of the newspaper on their table - "Hanratty to Hang".

Neil Moss, in the Peak Cavern.

They'd tried so hard to get him free, but eventually had to give up.

As a child, I remember thinking how horrible it must have been for anyone to die in such a fashion, but then to hear that the gully had been filled in order to stop anybody else getting stuck gave me nightmares for a while.

An IRA bombing - can't recall the specifics, but there was a bus or coach involved and quite a few killed. Early/mid seventies.

Not the earliest for me but I was delivering newspapers for  Harold Brookes at the bottom of Well Rd before catching the bus up to Newfield School, 1963.

"3 million pounds go zip" in the Sun.

4x2

Seeing the TV news and soldiers embarking for Suez. What would I do if the 'bad' soldiers marched up our road in Bradway? Hide behind the garage of course..........

I don’t suppose that anyone else will remember my first big news story. I can remember the sinking of the ‘Flying Enterprise ‘ in the channel around 1951. I recall my mum demonstrating how the ship keeled over by using a clothes brush!

I must search the incident on the internet.

I also remember a top secret American bomber crashing onto Lodge Moor Hospital c.1954.

Also, Halibut, the coach that the IRA blew up became known as the M62 bomb.