Miller And Carter To Open On Surrey Street

I hear the Halifax building on the corner of Surrey Street will soon be a Miller and Carter, I've  never been to one of their restaurants but I've  read good reviews.

Looking forward to going.

Edited by nikki-red

I have been to a couple of these and they are quite decent, for a chain. One branch also received a good review recently from Jay Rayner.

Steak restaurants in the centre of town don't seem to do very well (London Club, Bar and Grill) so I hope that this one works out.

7 hours ago, PeteM01 said:

I have been to a couple of these and they are quite decent, for a chain. One branch also received a good review recently from Jay Rayner.

Steak restaurants in the centre of town don't seem to do very well (London Club, Bar and Grill) so I hope that this one works out.

Yes your right, I've  been to both of these and I did like the London Club.

I hope the Miller and Carter is a success.

On 02/12/2019 at 09:16, PeteM01 said:

Those two that you mention failed because they were both poor especially Bar & Grill which really didn't know what it was, was it a bar, or a restaurant, the lay out was poor and the food not much better for what they charged (and i'm not your usual Sheffielder, I don't mind paying). I had one horrendous dining experience in there so never returned. The London Club if you didn't know it was there you'd just walk past and was run by that excellent chef that had a habit of not lasting very long with whatever restaurant he ran.

Miller and Carter is a great chain and will do well in that location, it is the type of place the City Centre is crying out for.

4 minutes ago, SheffBloke said:

Those two that you mention failed because they were both poor especially Bar & Grill which really didn't know what it was, was it a bar, or a restaurant, the lay out was poor and the food not much better for what they charged (and i'm not your usual Sheffielder, I don't mind paying). I had one horrendous dining experience in there so never returned. The London Club if you didn't know it was there you'd just walk past and was run by that excellent chef that had a habit of not lasting very long with whatever restaurant he ran.

Miller and Carter is a great chain and will do well in that location, it is the type of place the City Centre is crying out for.

Cary Brown.

As you say, he has had a number of tries in Sheffield, Slammers on Ecclesall Road for one.

Now involved with Hathersage Social Club, I think. 

Edited by Bargepole23

On 01/12/2019 at 19:16, jaffa1 said:

I hear the Halifax building on the corner of Surrey Street will soon be a Miller and Carter, I've  never been to one of their restaurants but I've  read good reviews.

Looking forward to going.

I've been to the Miller & Carter at Parkhead.  Y'know, the place that used to be The Wheatsheaf pub - a Toby Carvery.  

In its new guise it is quite appealing.  It's a lot more of an upmarket experience than before.  (And boy does Sheffield need some upmarket experiences).  You'd never guess, unless you already knew, that the ownership hasn't changed.  It's just a different brand of eating and drinking, from the same company, Mitchell & Butler (M&B) breweries.  They own lots of different brands including:

• Alex
  • All Bar One
  • Browns Restaurants
  • Castle
  • Crown Carveries
  • Ember Inns
  • Harvester
  • Innkeeper's Lodge
  • Oak Tree
  • Orchid Pubs
  • Premium Country Pubs (formerly Premium Country Dining Group)
  • Miller and Carter
  • Nicholson's
  • O'Neill's
  • Sizzling Pubs
  • Stonehouse Pizza & Carvery
  • Toby Carvery
  • Vintage Inns  

Looking at the list above, there are some dreadful offerings there, are they not?  Or maybe you like that sort of thing?  In which case you'll absolutely love Miller & Carter.  

The main feature of Miller & Carter is steak - that's why they've got a metal sculpture of a bull outside y'know?  That's a clue!  You can get other choices too of course.  They cater for vegetarians, vegans, gluten-free, celeriacs, maniacs, pescatarians and saggitarians.   All are welcome I'm sure.  

I went not long after it first opened.  I've never been back.  Not because it was bad, but it could have been better.  Food wise, service wise and atmosphere wise.  It was very busy when we went and the convector hoods above the grill were struggling to emit the smoke.  So we had quite a smoky experience - which kind of detracted from it.  I emerged from there smelling like a kipper. I recall the service was rather slow as well.   But the food was o.k.

I had a quick glance on TripAdvisor to see how this place is doing currently - it's averaging out at 4 star ratings - which, if you know how TripAdvisor works, doesn't mean much at all.  If you're going to use something like TripAdvisor, then it's worth learning how to use it properly.  The ranking system is skewed towards making the reviews more positive than negative and it is open to gaming.

For example, there is no "good" rating on TripAdvisor.  The choice is between "average" which is 3 stars and "very good" which is 4 stars.  But it's the gaming that I dislike.  If we take Miller & Carter in Sheffield as an example, on the first page there are 3 reviews which give it 5 stars.  Of these 3 reviewers, one has written a sizeable number of reviews (278) so that's a pretty credible record, the other 2 reviewers have written just 2 and 1 review only.  You have to look not at the star rating given, but at the number of reviews that the folks giving the star rating have written. 

The other thing to do is to skim over a few pages of it and see if there are any themes emerging.  In this case, a review of the first two or three pages suggests that there are problems with slow service and cold food.  What makes it even worse is that the General Manager of the place likes to respond and argue back if someone writes a negative review.  This is ALWAYS a bad sign.  Whilst negative feedback is disappointing, it is, nevertheless valuable and it should be acknowledged and more importantly, acted upon, not contested publicly.  It's poor form actually and suggests that there are issues with the way the place is being run.

I hope the new Miller & Carter in Sheffield is a success.  I think being able to attract staff, training them properly and retaining them, is key to it.  And that should be easier to achieve in a city centre location than in a distant suburb that isn't served too well by public transport.

It doesn't excite me though, I have to be honest.  But it's better than another nail bar or charity shop.

Edited by DerbyTup

2 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

I've ... shop.

Tupsplaining?

There are two other Miller and Carter in Sheffield, there's  one on Ecclesall Road and the other at  Valley Centertainment, they're  not all bad reports.

Valley Centertainment one was rubbish compared to the one at park head ...