Fish And Chip Shop On Four Greens Longley/Southey 1960s

Does anyone remember what this was called?  My Mum had a hairdressers upstairs.

Thank you.

possible 1963

57 Southey  Avenue --Mathews & Son, fried fish dealers

also

Jn. A. and Mrs. Mary Mathews.

I wonder if my grandparents rented it from them?  They were called Burrows.  Thank you so much for this information.

Michaela Brown

Edited by Mikki 123

We left in 1969 - my grandad Leonard Burrows ran the fish and chip shop with his wife Esther, and my Mum Sandra Burrows had the hairdressers upstairs.  Thank you for your reply.

Was wondering if my grandad was the Mr Burrows from 'A nice Tailend From Mr Burrows' by Jack Watson, based on his growing up stories from S6.

I have no one left to ask anymore.

Edited by Mikki 123

52 Southey Avenue-E&L Burrows fish friers in 68

10 minutes ago, retep said:

52 Southey Avenue-E&L Burrows fish friers in 68

Yep - also at that address in the Kelly's directories I have dated 1965 to 1973. Not listed in the 1963 and 1974 directories (compiled in late 1962 and 1973).

Thank you so much retep and Hillsbro.   Hillsbro, where did you buy/acquire your Kelly's directories ?  I have accessed them in the Local Studies area in the Central Library, but would love a personal collection.

2 hours ago, Mikki 123 said:

... Hillsbro, where did you buy/acquire your Kelly's directories ? ...

They are not easy to find as the last ones were published in the 1970s. They turn up in secondhand bookshops and on secondhand book websites but can be pricey, especially earlier ones,  but I've occasionally been lucky and found one cheaply at a car boot sale. Some are available on CDs or as a download - I have CDs for 1905, 1922, 1925 and 1957, also some earlier White's etc.  directories on CDs.  Here is a link to a 1957 directory available via eBay as a download: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kellys-Directory-Of-Sheffield-Rotherham-1957/254147130271?hash=item3b2c59739f:g:iV0AAOSwXzNaf1OD

But I'll be pleased to look up anything that you need - just PM me. I have the CD versions as above, also the books for 1931, 1937, 1940, 1951, 1954, 1957, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1973 and 1974.

Edited by hillsbro

Remember it well!, used to live round the corner on Everingham Close, would go for a free bag of scraps!

I remember the 'luxury' of having two chip shops throughout the 1940's at both locations already mentioned, though rationing meant only one would be open at any one time. It is testing my memory these days but I recall the name Mathews being associated with No. 57 (now Costcutter) according to Streetview. The cheapest bag of chips in those days was threeha'pence ! and the cooked chips were loaded into a spin-dryer  to recover as much fat as possible for re-use.  The shop at No. 52 (now Peter Clarke) opened more often and seemed to be the busier and well patronised (by me for one!) , two pennorth of chips and a fish (6d) was the going rate then.

It really was a popular shopping centre  with a good variety  of trades; haven't visited for a very long time but  still nostalgicly recall those days.