The Perils Of Hathersage Road

Yes, it's a busy country road.  There are loads of these all over the UK. If you've passed your test you should be able to drive safely on it in all conditions, subject to other road users doing the same. We all make mistakes, but slow down a bit at key points and you make less of them.

The Fox House is terrible, but in that tourist hotspot location there is zero competition. So get used to it suckers, it ain't going to change because the firm that runs it don't care about you they only care about profits. To add to the other criticisms it is a ridiculously small and cramped bar area which is hard to get served at when there are more than  2 or 3 people standing there. 

But - if you can manage to bag seats next to the fire on a cold day and there is a drinkable cask ale on then it can be a pleasant place to wait for the bus. Or if you're thirsty on a hot day it will do the job of providing a  cold drink. There, those are my positive bits about the FH.

I preferred it when they had a long tap room and a separate "best room" much better lay out.

14 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

Love that road used to be on my regular cycle training route that I did most days.

As you say there are dangers but not if you drive sensibly.Sadly some treat it as a race track.

The pub is poor these days was in one Wednesday night a few months ago it was virtually empty a couple walked in and asked for a table and they were asked if they booked when they said no they were told it was fully booked and they sent them to the grouse!

In partial defence of the Fox House, it's not easy getting staff to cover awkward hours as transport is difficult unless they have access to a car. Many are students without relyingb on infrequent buses and lifts. Demand is hard to predict. Saturday was shrouded in freezing fog and quiet,  but Sunday was glorious sunshine and very busy around there .

On 02/12/2019 at 23:54, 1978 said:

In partial defence of the Fox House, it's not easy getting staff to cover awkward hours as transport is difficult unless they have access to a car. Many are students without relyingb on infrequent buses and lifts. Demand is hard to predict. Saturday was shrouded in freezing fog and quiet,  but Sunday was glorious sunshine and very busy around there .

Yes I can certainly imagine that is an issue they always seem to be advertising for staff.