Amazon Uk, And Others Returns Policy For Monitors

as above, its awhile since i bought anyhting, but in the past, you could rtn such items, tv,s, etc if they werent suitable, but now it says have to be unopened, unused, etc, i want to get a new monitos, but not sure gloss or matt, how my games are run, etc.

Look for lowest Response time, reasonable refresh, IPS not TN, and I would always go for matt for a desktop monitor, nothing worse than light (including ceiling light, or any others in the room) reflecting on your screen while trying to play a game...

Never had a problem returning monitors to Amazon. I have in the past returned a BENQ and a AOC because the colours seem to be washed out even when I did my best to set them, and on one the viewing angle was poor. Received a full refund in both cases. Amazon is also good if it turns up some dead or faulty pixels but that is only if you buy one from them and not an Amazon marketplace seller as they generally have their own returns policy.

But... As above but would go for a VA over IPS if its for gaming because they can have better response times and also a higher refresh rate than IPS and some are Freesync or adaptive sync which is good to have if your card supports it. Nvidia cards have G-Sync but they now can also work on Freesync monitors. VA also have good contrast ratios with deep blacks and good whites. It's a bit of a compromise though but if you set them up well they look excellent and you can get some 27" ones for a decent price.

Have a good look on youtube, 

actually VA is one of the worst response times, but generally can do higher refresh  than IPS (though there are 144hz IPS panels) and do have slightly better contrast ratio, but that can be overcome with a decent backlight setup and calibration..

a decent IPS can be indistinguishable from a VA panel in terms of colour and contrast etc.

I agree that IPS are normally superior in terms of colour rendering but VA panels are now very common for game use as the refresh rate has been improved to around 4ms or even lower and comparable to IPS at 4ms average. It's a bit horses for courses though as if you are using it for multimedia, photoshop and other programmes as well where colour is important then an IPS is the one to go for. Otherwise a VA as said is a good compromise between them all.

This may be of use to gamezone07.

https://techguided.com/display-panel-types-tn-ips-va/

The main this is to do a bit of research on the monitor that you like first.

Stop saying refresh and meaning response time, or which ever way round you  mean it...

refresh and response are not the same...

IPS has been known to go as low as 1ms RESPONSE time, 

and there are IPS panels with over 160Hz REFRESH rate!

TN are Faster
IPS are better viewing angles
VA are better for colour reproduction and blacks

Edited by Ghozer

Philips 276E9QJAB 27" IPS Full HD (1920x1080) Freesync 75Hz monitor

Considering this, 75mhz, IPS, free sync, thing is, i really really don't like matt, i like gloss, much deeper vivid colours, etc.

btw, baffled how few 2nd hand 27inches are available, and the ridiculous prices they are asking.,

Edited by gamezone07

look at this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S27E330H-Full-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B06ZZX86TN

on ebay

210!

5 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Stop saying refresh and meaning response time, or which ever way round you  mean it...

refresh and response are not the same...

Opps yes, I meant response time! Having said that I'm sure most would know that at 4ms it would not be the refresh rate.

IPS has been known to go as low as 1ms RESPONSE time, 

and there are IPS panels with over 160Hz REFRESH rate!

I agree. Now find a game monitor with those specs.

TN are Faster
IPS are better viewing angles
VA are better for colour reproduction and blacks

Again I agree and have already stated it depends on what you are using it for. gamezone07 wants one for gaming and as most games are rendered and not photorealistic having an IPS is not necessarily the best choice.

30 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

look at this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S27E330H-Full-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B06ZZX86TN

on ebay

210!

A very good price. Has a good... response time, refresh rate a bit slow at 60Hz, not height adjustable, colour gamut a bit low.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/monitors/led-se330/

Must admit I prefer the Phillips 276E9QJAB 27" IPS one.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/pc-monitors/pc-monitors/philips-276e9qjab-full-hd-27-lcd-monitor-black-silver-10182215-pdt.html?istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istFeedId=4d7eb93e-055f-499d-8ee5-1cdcc50d67d1&istItemId=wpmxiqapi&istBid=tztx&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~1007 (PLA) MONITORS - Adaptive~1007 (PLA) MONITORS - Adaptive ad group~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&kwid=GOOGLE&device=c&ds_kids=92700048721268951&tgtid=1007 (PLA) MONITORS - Adaptive&&gclid=CjwKCAiA5o3vBRBUEiwA9PVzatazqvfpZShGLEeEGN5bgsnsowMueuxHNRPR_R1BqmWFrbIZEd8NGhoCANEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ask yourself... What graphics card will I be using as that will also depend on whether you need or can use Freesync. Freesync was for AMD cards but now some Nvidia cards are also Freesync compatible but it depends on how new the card is. It also depends on what connector you will use as Nvidia can only do Freesync over a displayport connector.

When I bought mine I took around 4 days having a look, reading up on the spect and reading reviews before I chose it.

Yes, the philips is good, matt though, as are all of them, just put the sammie to show ebay prices are crazy these days

Edited by gamezone07

Seriously, don't be put off by matt as it does make a difference to reflected light and really does not affect colours that much at all. Both my monitors are matt, one is an IPS at 60Hz and the other VA that can go to 144Hz and despite them being matt you really can't see how it affects the colour. But another thing is though I don't use them in a bright room, I use them in a room with just some ambient light behind and with some backlight behind the monitor.

BTW what graphics card do you have? IIRC you were playing Assassin's Creed Origins so if you can, run the benchmark and see if you get any tearing when it pans about.