Powerline Adaptors

Bought a  Simpler Network p a to add another computer outlet  : does not work : is it incompatible with my 2 TalkTalks ? Would it work with them  if it was the primary - at the router?

Generally you need to get ones the same brand at minimum, usually the same model/range..

like, TP link ones, won't work with netgear ones, and such!

You would need to make sure you purchase one that's specifically compatible with your original ones!

13 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Generally you need to get ones the same brand at minimum, usually the same model/range..

You would need to make sure you purchase one that's specifically compatible with your original ones!

Thank you : will look for another TalkTalk  ; same   …  etc .

The TalkTalk ones that came provided when they upped out package to YouView had cables that were far too short. You would also be best to check the speed of what the TalkTalk ones offer. On the network here I have a paired passthrough (that means the socket can be used by another appliance) Netgear ones and 2 pairs of TP-Link ones from Curry's plus a TP-Link ethernet port expander from Curry's to facilitate connections to the router. It does mean buying the odd extra Cat-5 cable.

On 29/11/2019 at 21:46, Ghozer said:

Bought two more identical - to the other two -  TalKTalks : tried them on the TV and then on the outlet where my comp is : nothing . Comp fault finder says for both " Ethernet 3   doesnt have a valid IP configuration . "  !?

You have them both plugged in at a wall socket and not on an extension lead? Also apparently if near to a high voltage device in adjacent socket this can interfere apparently,

A solution that someone had similar issues to you using Netgear resolved it thus:

"I believe I've solved my own "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" error.  My new Netgear Powerline system consists of four XAV5201 units and two XWN5001 units.  When initially setting up the network I attempted to sync the entire network simultaneously, i.e., I first pressed the security button on the XAV5201 unit attached to my router and then within 2 minutes pressed the security buttons on the other five units.  That appears to have resulted in the above error message on some of the units.

When I went through the process of syncing one unit at a time to the network, the error messages ceased, and now I am able to connect to the internet from each of the units."

[Source: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Powerline-Networking/Ethernet-Does-Not-Have-Valid-IP-Configuration/m-p/1195240#M4349]

Edited by swarfendor437