London Terror Attack 29/11/2019

32 minutes ago, Branyy said:

Do you think Hitler needed just some rehabilitation and monitoring (if he had survived the end of WW2)?

Also, I don't think it's about the amount of services needed. Someone had assessed Khan and approved his release. He had access to rehabilitation. He participated on that, he attended that conference. He was monitored. Services were there for him. They failed. 

Think you missed my post about what services Weren't available

3 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Two poor people found out the hard way about the attempted rehabilitation of an extreme religious zealot. It is simply not worth innocent people's lives to find out if these types of criminals can or cannot be rehabilitated. Once is more than enough in these types of crimes . No second chances to these guys is my stance, and I am not alone in my way of thinking, by a long shot.

I'll ask the point again since you wont give the courtesy of answering it...  Do you know that for certain? I think it's incumbent on a civilised society to try and rehabilitate all people regardless of how hopeless it may be.

25 minutes ago, Obelix said:

I'll ask the point again since you wont give the courtesy of answering it...  Do you know that for certain? I think it's incumbent on a civilised society to try and rehabilitate all people regardless of how hopeless it may be.

Here is my answer, seeing as my reasoning on the matter doesn't work on you.

Nothing is certain in life other than death.So I stick to percentages and they tell me that the odds of permanently rehabbing a fervent religous extremist are exceedingly low and not worth risking innocent lives to prove the odds wrong.

1 hour ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Nothing is certain in life other than death.So I stick to percentages and they tell me that the odds of permanently rehabbing a fervent religous extremist are exceedingly low and not worth risking innocent lives to prove the odds wrong.

Show me those percentages. There are, according to our beloved leader - who always tells the truth - 74 convicted terrorists out on licence. So your odds are currently 1-74. I don’t know if they’re including ex-jihadists in that number, they are less likely I to go back to old ways. I’ll dig out figures in the morning if I remember.

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Show me those percentages. There are, according to our beloved leader - who always tells the truth - 74 convicted terrorists out on licence. So your odds are currently 1-74. I don’t know if they’re including ex-jihadists in that number, they are less likely I to go back to old ways. I’ll dig out figures in the morning if I remember.

Well I hope those  other 73 are being monitored  a lot closer than the one that got away, because he took 2 lives and that is 2 lives too many in my book.

6 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I'm terribly sorry I dare to havea  different opinion from you. Perhaps you are not as persuasive as you thought. Where do you get these odds from then?

Also, despite the fact that apparantly your percentages tell you that the odds are low, you acknowedge that it is possible. So why not try then instead of just discarding them?

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

Also, despite the fact that apparantly your percentages tell you that the odds are low, you acknowedge that it is possible. So why not try then instead of just discarding them?

I'll repeat my answer - because it's not technically possible.

10 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

So I stick to percentages and they tell me that the odds of permanently rehabbing a fervent religous extremist are exceedingly low

Rubbish!

You have not a shred of evidence to back that up. Are you also calling for the life imprisonment of repeat drunk drivers? After all, they kill way more people in the UK than terrorists have ever done.

20 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Rubbish!

You have not a shred of evidence to back that up. Are you also calling for the life imprisonment of repeat drunk drivers? After all, they kill way more people in the UK than terrorists have ever done.

There isn't a shred of evidence that rehabilitation is successful. Who's assessing the results of rehabilitation process? Who concludes that rehabilitation is successful? Same experts that "rehabilitated" Khan?

To the second part - we have (sort of) efficient lifetime driving bans.

Edited by Branyy

11 minutes ago, Branyy said:

There isn't a shred of evidence that rehabilitation is successful.

More rubbish being posted as fact.

Many of the mentors/facilitators of deradicalisation programmes are sucessfully rehabilitated former extremists.

47 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

More rubbish being posted as fact.

Many of the mentors/facilitators of deradicalisation programmes are sucessfully rehabilitated former extremists.

Such an information is not an evidence of successful rehabilitation. I'd like to see some relevant statistics on recidivists.

Father of one of the victims again states DO NOT use my sons death for your ignorance, hatred and divisive right wing propaganda

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/media/dont-use-my-sons-death-for-vile-propaganda-london-bridge-victims-dad-warns-right-wing-press/02/12/

also in the same article, it has the following

“We’ve neglected the criminal justice system and now the chickens are coming home to roost” warned former parole board chair and former Her Majesty’s Prison Inspectorate Chief Inspector Nick Hardwick on Monday.

Nick Hardwick who fell out of favour with the Tory government for his dire warnings on the consequences of prison and parole cuts, told BBC’s Today Programme that a decade of slashing prison and probation service had made them much less able to keep the British public safe