David Duckenfield Found Not Guilty

Vaati

Posts have been removed. Any further posts victim blaming WILL result in your account being suspended. We've warned on this many times in many of these threads. All end up blocked because people cannot help themselves.

Message added by Vaati

1 hour ago, dan2802 said:

I agree. The poor man can now enjoy the rest of his life.

He's been dragged through this twice. Enough is enough.

3 times - there was a private prosecution and trial at Leeds Crown Court in 2000.

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, dan2802 said:

I agree. The poor man can now enjoy the rest of his life.

He's been dragged through this twice. Enough is enough.

Load of rubbish - he decided he would tell the truth 26 years after the event when if he’d done it at the time it might have saved a lot of heartache for all involved.

he was one of the main reasons it’s taken so long.

from 2015

“I am now very much older, very much wiser and very much more understanding of the events of the day and have decided to tell the whole truth,” Duckenfield said.

2 hours ago, mickey finn said:

I agree, poor bloke was hounded beyond belief.

Because he hadn’t told the truth.

8 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Load of rubbish - he decided he would tell the truth 26 years after the event when if he’d done it at the time it might have saved a lot of heartache for all involved.

he was one of the main reasons it’s taken so long.

from 2015

“I am now very much older, very much wiser and very much more understanding of the events of the day and have decided to tell the whole truth,” Duckenfield said.

Because he hadn’t told the truth.

The Taylor Inquiry back in August 1989 established the truth.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/28/hillsborough-families-outraged-david-duckenfield-not-guilty-verdict

"The truth, established in Lord Justice Taylor’s original public inquiry report in August 1989, was that Duckenfield himself had ordered a large exit gate to be opened, to alleviate a crush at the Leppings Lane turnstiles. He failed to take any steps to direct almost 2,500 incoming people away from the crowded central “pens” of the terrace, and the 96 people were fatally injured in a crush from the resulting overcrowding in those pens, 3 and 4."

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I think it was too late for a charge of corporate manslaughter as the Chief Constable at the time is deceased.

Do you not consider the force could have been prosecuted as a body irrespective of who the Chief Constable leading the force is/was?

Not that I think anything would be achieved by a prosecution.

11 minutes ago, Sammax said:

Do you not consider the force could have been prosecuted as a body irrespective of who the Chief Constable leading the force is/was?

Not that I think anything would be achieved by a prosecution.

Perhaps for Corporate Manslaughter - but it would have probably been very difficult to establish a "controlling mind".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_manslaughter_in_English_law

Sadly on that fateful day some 15mins after K.O.  David Duckenfield found himself in an invidious position.

Thousands of Liverpool Ticket Holders arriving late were still outside the Leppings Lane end of the Ground - reported to him as being crushed against the Gates/Turnstiles with the potential for fatalities.

Whilst film of the Terrace involved appears to be already full just ask yourself what your decision would have been ?  

Heartfelt sympathy to all concerned.

Hillsborough Tragedy  -  please now R.I.P.

R.

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, RichinR'mond said:

Sadly on that fateful day some 15mins after K.O.  David Duckenfield found himself in an invidious position.

Thousands of Liverpool Ticket Holders arriving late were still outside the Leppings Lane end of the Ground - reported to him as being crushed against the Gates/Turnstiles with the potential for fatalities.

Whilst film of the Terrace involved appears to be already full just ask yourself what your decision would have been ?  

Heartfelt sympathy to all concerned.

Hillsborough Tragedy  -  please now R.I.P.

R.

He could have taken any number of decisions.

delaying the kick off for one, closing the central tunnel to divert fans into the empty paddocks another.

afterwards he could also not have withheld the truth for 26 years.

read the results of the hillsborough inquiry before talking about fans arriving late and the “invidious” position of David Duckenfield. 

The Architects , planners and committee's who were responsible for the design seem to have got off scot free , the Leppings Lane stand was not fit for purpose and still to this day is not , I remember being in some horrendous crush situations in there long before that day .

48 minutes ago, makapaka said:

read the results of the hillsborough inquiry before talking about fans arriving late and the “invidious” position of David Duckenfield. 

I don't see the need to look back at the enquiry, the outcome of which lead to Duckenfields trial, and when the jury were presented with the evidence they decided he wasn't guilty. His defence stated that the blame can't be put on one person, and I think they were right. He might be to blame for some things, but clearly not manslaughter.

It must be so hard for the families to accept the decision but not sure what else could have been expected after 30 years.  I feel all parties have suffered enough and Duckenfield will continue to suffer as will the families of the 96 for the rest of their lives.  We can't change anything now and we can't bring those lovely people back so let's leave them to rest in peace. 

Edited by katekate

31 minutes ago, WarPig said:

I don't see the need to look back at the enquiry, the outcome of which lead to Duckenfields trial, and when the jury were presented with the evidence they decided he wasn't guilty. His defence stated that the blame can't be put on one person, and I think they were right. He might be to blame for some things, but clearly not manslaughter.

I agree.I don't know if the mistakes he made make him guilty of manslaughter.My personal feelings are that there were many factors to blame here and the changes made following the disaster prove this not least removal of those horrible pens.Having the evidence presented to a jury in a court of law is a far better place to judge a person than trial by media and I respect the outcome.

Edited by Fudbeer

I agree Fudbeer, mistakes were made by him but he certainly didn't set out to cause loss of life.  There's  definately many factors to blame and we can't place it all on one person.