Shortage Of Christmas Trees From Europe

Seems very strange, when I lived in deeper Lancashire there were a few Xmas tree farms that supplied the local area.

I found a couple of articles on it, one from September :

The UK is facing a shortage of real Christmas trees this year due new legislation which will push up red tape and importation costs.

For the first time this year, Christmas trees over three metres in height will require a ‘Plant Passport’ to enter the UK.

This new legislation, introduced to protect UK woodland against the risk of pest and insect infestations that importation of plants can cause, will drive up the costs of giant Christmas trees by around 200%.

another from the US:

https://kdhlradio.com/will-there-be-a-christmas-tree-shortage-in-minnesota-this-year/

Just an excuse to start using Xmas stories I think.

Edited by alchresearch

29 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Seems very strange, when I lived in deeper Lancashire there were a few Xmas tree farms that supplied the local area.

Went and got our Christmas tree from a local farm this weekend. Tree chosen whilst still in the ground and will only be cut down on the day of delivery (though you can get yours cut down straight away if you want to take it with you - though ours wouldn't fit in the car)

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

THAT sounds a great idea,possibly thats the way forward ,and we can also grow our trees after brexit and then that gets the passport problem solved as well ,plus solves the air miles so to speak out as well

indeed it does, however it will take land that will be needed for growing food and other useful things and it take upwards of 4 years to grow one of a decent size so what do we do until then?

50 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

indeed it does, however it will take land that will be needed for growing food and other useful things and it take upwards of 4 years to grow one of a decent size so what do we do until then?

Just enjoy the simple pleasures of a blue passport....

4 hours ago, bassett one said:

THAT sounds a great idea,possibly thats the way forward ,and we can also grow our trees after brexit and then that gets the passport problem solved as well ,plus solves the air miles so to speak out as well

I'm pretty sure we can already grow our own trees, no need to wait until Brexit.