Garage Conversion Advice

Hi,

Thank you for the responses.  It is just single brick wall on the end and the other side which is joined to the house is the outer brick of the house.  The roof of garage is wood and then felt on top.  

If i wanted approx costs would it be best to get quotes from builders that do extensions or do they only give cost indication if they have plans?  

Thank you as you can probably tell this is very new territory for me.  

31 minutes ago, Sheffield05 said:

Hi,

Thank you for the responses.  It is just single brick wall on the end and the other side which is joined to the house is the outer brick of the house.  The roof of garage is wood and then felt on top.  

If i wanted approx costs would it be best to get quotes from builders that do extensions or do they only give cost indication if they have plans?  

Thank you as you can probably tell this is very new territory for me.  

You would be better with a small builder used to these type jobs before you out lay any money

You cant estimate a job on a forum like this. . Do you know any bricklayers that maybe give it 

a quick look over for free. /  I am only guessing but to do the job properly you got to be looking 

at £20 .000 about as a guesstimate 

Edited by spider1

On 26/11/2019 at 09:54, ttparsons said:

You can build an insulated breeze block wall inside the existing wall and plaster it to make a nice utility.  You should apply for building regs.  If you are changing th garage door for something else such as a wall with door and window in it you are changing the look of the property and may need planning permission.  Ring th planning department for advice unless you are sure it comes under permitted development rules.  We did ours and building inspector told us to fit a  wired-in heat detector and needed to see the electrical installation certificate.  Also we put a skylight in the garage roof which really lightens the space.

Its usually change of use you apply for. I haven't done it by me neighbour converted a free standing garage in to an office and lots of people I know have converted an integral garage into room as part of the house. 

Would a builder be able to advise on costs if they came out or would i need to get drawings/plan before they can give approx costs?  

3 hours ago, Sheffield05 said:

Would a builder be able to advise on costs if they came out or would i need to get drawings/plan before they can give approx costs?  

A builder will be able to give you an estimate. Make sure you know what electrics you want, any additional radiators etc.

Building control & architect.

Its not an uncommon job but without the above you'll struggle to get a quote for the works needed.

4 hours ago, Sheffield05 said:

Simple answer. Yes.

A set of drawings is your first step.