Garage Conversion Advice

Hi,

Am wondering if someone can point me in the right direction or advise.  

I have a semi detached house with the garage attached to the side of the property and at the back of the garage have some steps and link into the Kitchen.  I would like to convert the garage into a room so i can use it as a large living room, with a utility/storage room.  I have no idea on how much this would cost and how to proceed.  

1.  Will i need planning permission for this?

2.  Who can i contact to advise on costs and design?  Would an architect do this or can i go straight to a builder and ask.  Would they not need design to give approx costs?  

I don't want to be spending money on an architect i.e. xxx amount on a design if the actual cost of doing this work is more than i can afford.  Anyone been through getting their garage converted any ideas on cost/budget or advice would be much appreciated.    

Apologies for my lack of knowledge on this topic but its my first home and would like to get it renovated before i can move in providing i can afford to get this work carried out.

Thanks 

Edited by Sheffield05

Conveyancing aspects: is your house:

a. mortgaged [you'd need consent from the mortgagee]; and/or

b. leasehold [you might need consent from your landlord, the reversioner, depending on what the lease stipulates]?

Each such consent must be in writing- keep at least two copies, one with your title deeds and the other at home in a safe place.

And in any case notify the insurance company in writing before and after you carry-out the works.

Is the garage a cavity wall or 4inch  bwk 

I would think you certainly need building regs approval, and for that you would need some basic design. That would include what Spider above is referring to, the wall construction and what you might need to add insulation wise to meet the requirements.

You could go to one of those companies that produces plans for house extensions for some drawings, they will know what's required, and do any supporting calculations and submit it all for you if you want.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

That would include what Spider above is referring to, the wall construction and what you might need to add insulation wise to meet the requirements.

No my concern is if the garage is not of cavity wall construction it will not be possible to do anything at all 

Edited by spider1

10 hours ago, spider1 said:

No my concern is if the garage is not of cavity wall construction it will not be possible to do anything at all 

Why not? Plenty do.

You can build an insulated breeze block wall inside the existing wall and plaster it to make a nice utility.  You should apply for building regs.  If you are changing th garage door for something else such as a wall with door and window in it you are changing the look of the property and may need planning permission.  Ring th planning department for advice unless you are sure it comes under permitted development rules.  We did ours and building inspector told us to fit a  wired-in heat detector and needed to see the electrical installation certificate.  Also we put a skylight in the garage roof which really lightens the space.

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why not? Plenty do.

Cost 

7 hours ago, spider1 said:

Cost 

That's your argument as to why it can't be done?

4 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

That's your argument as to why it can't be done?

YES