Cost To Rewire A House ?

Any electricians out there?  just after a rough cost to rewire a large old house. 3000sqare foot, about 16 rooms! and it's old!   

I’d budget about £3500 at least for that   Are you wanting all new switches / sockets as well 

4 hours ago, rudds1 said:

I’d budget about £3500 at least for that   Are you wanting all new switches / sockets as well 

I'd say £3500 for a 3 bed semi, including new switch and socket fronts, and consumer unit.

This sounds like twice the size of job.

Also bear in mind old house often means the plaster is fragile so there maybe lots of patching up after chopping cables in, all extra cost that needs allowing for.

We had our old house rewired (150 yr old cottage with a 1980's extension, 3 bed) completely rewired recently.

Total cost, it's hard to say exactly as we opted to have our overhead incoming supply moved which was expensive, around £500ish just for that.

We also had a lot of associated re-plastering done as the old stuff was a mess after chopping out, patching up wasn't viable so pretty much the whole house got re-skimmed, that cost a couple of grand.

The re-wire itself I think was around 4-5 grand which included running in quite a bit of new stuff, outside lighting and re-doing the garage.

It was extremely difficult to find an electrician willing to do the job, which was very difficult and dirty. Getting through massively thick stone walls is no fun at all!

An old 16 room place? I shudder to think of paying for and taking that work on!!! Good luck!!

Edited by vwkittie

5 to 6 grand easy, plus additional costs to re-plaster and re-decorate.

£3000/£4000 all depending on what your wanting spots/switching 

taking into account smokes on each level & the new 18th edition so would require SPD on the fuse board.

Without seeing the job, I'd say around £8k to £10k, excluding plastering works. 

As mentioned above, a 3 bedroom semi rewire is around £3500  and could easily be £4500..That would typically comprise of 3 bedrooms, bathroom, landing and hallway, living room, dining room and kitchen. A total of 8 rooms . As a guess, the size would be under 1500 sq. feet.  The joists will be straight, the bricks (mainly) soft and easy to chop out and drill through. Routes for cables will be relatively easy, cables will pull on switch drops etc.

Your 16 room, 3000 sq ft old house is a completely different proposition. Routes will be much more difficult. A lot longer, requiring more installation time and materials. The walls might be a lot tougher. I once worked on a rewire where the walls were that hard and thick that it took almost 6 hours to drill 2 holes through, and took 4 drills used alternately as they were getting so hot. 

Best thing to do is get 3 quotes and go from there. 

On 01/12/2019 at 10:40, bungleboy69 said:

the walls were that hard and thick that it took almost 6 hours to drill 2 holes through, and took 4 drills used alternately as they were getting so hot.

I'd forgotten about this but we had similar in our old house, took the poor electrician about 4 hours to put one hole through the front wall of the house!