Second Hand Tv . Worth A Try?

I picked up a techwood TV off the street yesterday - second hand obv - and bought an ONE FOR ALL remote to see if we can get it working.

We've plugged in the aerial and the plug...  and tuned in the remote  - and there's a box on the screen saying 'No channels have been added yet. Please go to the installation menu to add channels. OK.'

But nothing happens when you press OK on remote,, What can we do? Is it broken?

1 hour ago, Alfer said:

I picked up a techwood TV off the street yesterday - second hand obv - and bought an ONE FOR ALL remote to see if we can get it working.

We've plugged in the aerial and the plug...  and tuned in the remote  - and there's a box on the screen saying 'No channels have been added yet. Please go to the installation menu to add channels. OK.'

But nothing happens when you press OK on remote,, What can we do? Is it broken?

Could be reason the previous owner got rid of it but have you linked the all in one remote to the tv ? 

Thanks for reply Rudds!

I just would have thought if stuff is left on roadside its for other ppl to take away and use. If not surely you'd take it to the tip? 

Anyway yes we've followed instructions to link the remote to the TV... 

Look on e/bay see if you can get correct remote .When you switch T V on go in to menu and look were it tells you to search for programs . Sometimes when you first put tv on you have to make sure its on right station on controls on front t v . they go from 1 to 8   .Make sure its on digital not analoge switch on side normally

Edited by spider1

On my older telly you have to select the signal type before you can tune it in... Digital etc.

It might be the tuner that's setup wrong or broken. I was browsing Amazon yesterday and a DVB box can be can be bought for about £20, then use the TV via HDMI to watch over the air broadcasts. Check the other things before spending though.

On 22/11/2019 at 16:43, Alfer said:

Thanks for reply Rudds!

I just would have thought if stuff is left on roadside its for other ppl to take away and use. If not surely you'd take it to the tip? 

Anyway yes we've followed instructions to link the remote to the TV... 

Not everybody has transportation to take large items to the tip.So I wouldn't expect to get a diamond in the rough.I have put lots of items out for pick up, usually because they are knackered.

Flat screen TVs have a shockingly short shelf life these days.

If its not capacitors failing so that they power off as soon as its been on a few minutes or half an hour, its mysterious dull patches on the screen.  Samsung is terrible for this, and it happens as little as 16-18 months into ownership.

I know this doesn't apply to the OP, but if anyone is considering buying a cheap second hand telly from the Facebook marketplace or any other selling site, don't!

We have two EBAY purchased T.V's one a Samsung bog standard 19 incher  the other a Panasonic 42 inch smart tv , they are both brilliant TV's with pictures second to none , The Panasonic was £120 and the Samsung £25 .

What model TV? Can you navigate the TV's menus with a functional ok button?

I think Techwood sets are by Vestel so you should be able to enter the service menu and check if the tuner is in working order.

If the remote is set with the correct ir code, enter menu, then 4725 to enable the service menu, then go to the diagnostic page to see if the mainboard has any issues.

Edited by Logic3