City Hall Gift Vouchers

I went to the City Hall earlier today with a £40 gift voucher which was bought for me on August 14th and states it is eligible for up to 18 months after the purchase date, intending to use it towards the cost of 2 tickets, one for the Bowie Collective in March next year and one for the Sounds of the Sixties Roadshow in April. I was told at the box office that I could use it to buy a ticket for the Bowie Collective but not for the 60s roadshow as it wasn't eligible for that concert. When I asked why it wasn't eligible for that concert, I was told that they were moving to a new booking system and gift vouchers weren't eligible for concerts that had been moved onto the new system.  There was £9.95 left on the voucher but when I asked for a refund to put towards the 60s concert, I was refused. I then asked if I could put it towards a Bootleg Beatles Concert but was again refused. I asked what concerts I could use it for and was told there were a few classical music concerts I could use it for but I'd better hurry as they will soon be moved onto the new system.

The lady at the box office scribbled 9.95 on the front of the voucher but it seems I can only use it towards concerts I'm not interested in and would have to pay around £30 to make up the cost of the ticket. The people who bought the voucher weren't told about concerts being ineligible and there's no mention on the website of which concerts vouchers can still be redeemed against. Surely this is illegal and must break all the consumer protection laws. I've emailed the City Hall to say what they are doing is immoral, unethical and probably illegal. Has anybody else had this problem and does anybody know if they are behaving illegally?

Whilst this looks sharp practice on the part of SIV, you might need to contact SIV for clarification on this:

Head Office

For head office enquiries please contact us on 0114 223 3800 or email us.

10 minutes ago, Hopman said:

Whilst this looks sharp practice on the part of SIV, you might need to contact SIV for clarification on this:

Head Office

For head office enquiries please contact us on 0114 223 3800 or email us.

Thanks for the link. I've emailed the City Hall to complain and I'm going to contact the Citizens Rights office on YouGov.

Edited by Janus
Error

siv must be getting rid of the city hall as one of there venues as they transferred the ticket side of things to ticketmaster, and if you look at sivtickets site they only have a handful of events.

10 minutes ago, MuteWitness said:

siv must be getting rid of the city hall as one of there venues as they transferred the ticket side of things to ticketmaster, and if you look at sivtickets site they only have a handful of events.

Or have just put the ticketing side out to a third party, would be the more obvious explanation.

Ticketmaster always sold tickets for city hall aswell as the siv ticket site, siv are still selling tickets for other venues just not city hall which is why i thought it was a little odd with what the op has said about the gift card issue.

I emailed the box office and received a reply a few days later, telling me I'd been misinformed and the voucher can be used for any concert. I'm going back today to try and use the money remaining on it for a different concert, but if I'm fobbed off again I'll complain to the customer feedback department.