Why Should I Register To Vote?

We've had a few letters and visits over the years stating that we are required by law to give the council our details so we're registered vote.  Firstly I'm almost certain giving NO information is not against the law, only giving false information IS against the law.   Secondly council tax payments  and other correspondence proves to the council they already know  who lives at said abode.   Thirdly although it may only be a minutes work, it's beyond belief  that in a so called 'free country' you can be fined or imprisoned for doing absolutely nothing!    I could go on about how futile voting is and how the UK version of so called #democracy' is just an illusion but that's a whole another debate....

We refuse to register on principle and because we know you're not anonymous.

Mandatory voting is law in some other countries, Australia springs to mind.

You don't have to vote for anyone though, you could always spoil your ballot if you so wish.

You vote in memory of all those thousands of lads and lasses who gave their lives in 2 world wars to ensure your freedom !!

You should register to vote, for the simple reason that you are entitled to register to vote.

You should also vote, because you are entitled to vote.

That’s it, really 

9 hours ago, 26b-6 said:

We've had a few letters and visits over the years stating that we are required by law to give the council our details so we're registered vote.  Firstly I'm almost certain giving NO information is not against the law, only giving false information IS against the law.   Secondly council tax payments  and other correspondence proves to the council they already know  who lives at said abode.   Thirdly although it may only be a minutes work, it's beyond belief  that in a so called 'free country' you can be fined or imprisoned for doing absolutely nothing!    I could go on about how futile voting is and how the UK version of so called #democracy' is just an illusion but that's a whole another debate....

So enlighten us and let us know which version of democracy is worth it 😎

Edited by Longcol

Registering, or completing the forms they send out, has a lot to do with facilitating the collection of council tax. The don't only send them at election time.

Fair question in some respects. I was talking to a young chap last week, he's sofa surfing effectively. He didn't want to register because he didn't want his mates bank knowing he is there as they haven't told the bank they have a lodger. Here's someone who wants to vote but didn't want to get his mate into trouble. I thought that was quite sad. I couldn't offer a solution.

All adults have to register to vote in the UK. If you don't you may be fined.

Voting is not compulsory.

Not registering to vote is a way of living off the grid, much of our financial system is linked to the electoral roll to establish where people actually live, and how long they have lived at a certain address.

17 minutes ago, Car Boot said:

All adults have to register to vote in the UK. If you don't you may be fined.

Voting is not compulsory.

Not registering to vote is a way of living off the grid, much of our financial system is linked to the electoral roll to establish where people actually live, and how long they have lived at a certain address.

As long as you don't claim benefits, pay utility bills etc.

On some of the old "Freeman on the Land" forums there was a huge mass of evidence of failure to live off grid - unless you lived in a tent in a remote corner of Wales and managed to forage etc

On 19/11/2019 at 22:04, Runningman said:

You vote in memory of all those thousands of lads and lasses who gave their lives in 2 world wars to ensure your freedom !!

What utter nonesense. They supposedly gave their lives for something worth voting for! And for the freedom NOT to vote! But their lives ended because they blindly followed govt orders without question, same happened with the otherside.

On 20/11/2019 at 00:10, Pettytom said:

You should register to vote, for the simple reason that you are entitled to register to vote.

You should also vote, because you are entitled to vote.

That’s it, really 

Eh? Is this post for real? I think you’re trolling but I’ll bite anyways..

I’m also entitled to drink bleach, smoke cigarettes and gamble and so on…..despite having the freedom to do these things, I choose not to! – And this choice doesn’t result in threats of imprisonment and fines!

So you should drink bleach, smoke cigarettes and gamble because you are entitled to do so.

That’s it, really.