Sheffield Railway Station 'drop Off Area'

9 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

It works absolutely fine.   Unfortunately too many lazy self-important types would rather park up and sit waiting in the in the drop-off bay causing mayhem behind them.

I too wish there was far more enforcement by staff or some other organisation to move people on if they are sat waiting in any of the drop-off zones.  People wouldn't expect to get away with it outside in airport but somehow they think train stations it's perfectly acceptable to cause inconvenience to others.

Exactly the same thing happens at meadowhall interchange.  So many times I've seen cars parked up in the hatch drop-off area getting in the way whilst they sit there waiting for there are family and friends to arrive rather than spending 2 minutes actually bothering to park in a proper bay.

No doubt it works fine now. However, the suggestion was that at busy times, all picker uppers would wait in that car park until summoned.

That busy time for picking up would also coincide with a busy time on the roads around the car park and others entering and leaving the car park.

So yeah, apart from all that, should be fine.

13 hours ago, Resident said:

Do you mean the bus stop that has multiple pole mounted signs stating "No stopping except local buses" near the Howard? 

Worth mentioning that the bus bay in question has a bus stop clearway restriction (denoted by the wide yellow line alongside the kerb and the pole mounted signs) which is enforceable by the Council. That means if you are spotted by a civil enforcement officer picking up and dropping off there in a car, you will get an instant ticket . 

You can't pick up/drop off on a bus stop clearway like you can on a double  / single yellow line (that doesn't have a loading restriction in force).

19 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Ok. Where do you wait near the station waiting for the phone call. Not an easy thing to do.

19 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

In the multi-storey car park next to the station, where there's 30 minutes free parking.

Out round the back of the Mercades garage next to Wren Kitchens is a good place as well, easy access to the station down from there.

3 hours ago, geared said:

Out round the back of the Mercades garage next to Wren Kitchens is a good place as well, easy access to the station down from there.

Great transport plan....

On ‎18‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 19:15, Bargepole23 said:

Ok. Where do you wait near the station waiting for the phone call. Not an easy thing to do.

Unfortunately, when it comes to parking,  need does not equate with "rights".

I see this all the time with ignorant parking, worst is obviously people parking across people's drives. The only time you have a right to park anywhere is if you have your own off road parking space, otherwise it is not up to the driver to make up his own mind about parking restrictions.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but QPark seem to have withdrawn  the 30 minutes free parking at Sheffield station.

Consequently on Saturday morning the  small short term car park was full and the  drop off zone was totally blocked with parked cars.

7 hours ago, 1978 said:

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but QPark seem to have withdrawn  the 30 minutes free parking at Sheffield station.

Consequently on Saturday morning the  small short term car park was full and the  drop off zone was totally blocked with parked cars.

Thats going to catch a lot of people out who drive in thinking it still applies...how much will the half hour now cost?

On the rare visits I make with the car I've always found the drop-off area to be chaos. Completely full, cars parked awkwardly stopping other cars from easily entering and exiting, cars looping round to find a space then getting stuck at the exit as taxis and other cars are backed up and then no-one can get out of the car park. I've used the QPark a few times, hadn't realised they'd ditched the free half hour but then they'll know there's money to be made.

It's never been great even before the station re-work. When that started we'd assumed some of that dead space in front of the station would be used to better accommodate taxis and create better drop-off and pick-up facilities. Now we seem to have a huge useless concrete space that is barely ever occupied. Maybe there was a reason that space couldn't be used for cars and taxis...

6 minutes ago, chipfork said:

On the rare visits I make with the car I've always found the drop-off area to be chaos. Completely full, cars parked awkwardly stopping other cars from easily entering and exiting, cars looping round to find a space then getting stuck at the exit as taxis and other cars are backed up and then no-one can get out of the car park. I've used the QPark a few times, hadn't realised they'd ditched the free half hour but then they'll know there's money to be made.

It's never been great even before the station re-work. When that started we'd assumed some of that dead space in front of the station would be used to better accommodate taxis and create better drop-off and pick-up facilities. Now we seem to have a huge useless concrete space that is barely ever occupied. Maybe there was a reason that space couldn't be used for cars and taxis...

Maybe the reason is that is it owner by a private enterprise other than Network Rail? You cant just build on it if it isnt yours.

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Maybe the reason is that is it owner by a private enterprise other than Network Rail? You cant just build on it if it isnt yours.

Seems strange a private enterprise would build all those concrete walls/seating and the giant urinal wall/feature. I would have thought a developer would have put it to more profitable use.

Just now, chipfork said:

Seems strange a private enterprise would build all those concrete walls/seating and the giant urinal wall/feature. I would have thought a developer would have put it to more profitable use.

Ah I thought you meant the bit of land between that and the Q-Park, which was still empty when I last looked.