Sheffield Railway Station 'drop Off Area'

30 minutes ago, Agent Orange said:

Surely, you would just wait inside the station and venture out once your lift arrives?  

It's a covered walkway from the station to the drop-off area, obviously not heated but most people can survive a few minutes outside.

The vast majority of people are foot passengers so the system is designed for this.

Next are the taxi users which have their own area.

Next is the car pick up and drop off is also suitable for the vast majority.

Apparently some drivers want to sit in their nice warm cars whilst their elderly parents struggle with directions, luggage, lifts, rain and snow.

If they need to help then properly, park the car in the Car Park and meet at the platform and help with luggage and directions, avoiding the rain and snow as it covered all the way except for the zebra and the car can be loaded in the dry. 

Disabled people can make arrangements with the station to be conveyed to the best place to be picked up from- more than one solution-ask.

Lots of luggage from Manchester Airport?

Stay on the train as the next stop is Meadowhall(5 min and same fare), you can park in the warm for free next to the platform(2) whilst waiting- no steps. 

Consider this when going as well as there are ramps to platform 1 and a better chance of a seat.

1 hour ago, Justin Smith said:

Almost everyone has a mobile phone these days so it really wouldn`t be difficult to arrive shortly after the train, Realtime Trains (use detailed view) may help, it gives up to the minute (more or less) data on where any train in the country is.

But, as a prev poster mentioned, the people you`re picking up (assuming they had a mobile phone) would be under cover, possibly even sitting down in a heated waiting room not waiting about in the cold and rain.

In your earlier post, you wanted them literally waiting there, and for it to be drop off only.

2 hours ago, Agent Orange said:

Surely, you would just wait inside the station and venture out once your lift arrives?  

The big issue with the current design is that it's totally inadequate.  The bay has a low capacity (8 or so cars) so unless this is either re-designed or enforcement is applied (probably by the installation of barriers similar to those that operate at Manchester Airport) then it will always be a major issue.

The real issue is that a good solution requires more space for more cars and taxis than is actually available. 

People who are perfectly able to catch a bus or tram getting picked up in a car.

It is a consequence of car usage,.

Edited by Bargepole23

48 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

In your earlier post, you wanted them literally waiting there, and for it to be drop off only.

I think there's a breakdown in communication here.

It's all about how long the cars are waiting in an area where space is obviously at a premium.

Surely the people being picked up can have contacted those picking them up and be there for when they drive up. The point is they should not have to wait outside for any significant length of time, they just walk out from under the covered walkway when the car turns up, they get in and off they go, In theory the vehicle doesn't need to be there any longer than it would if actually dropping someone off ?

TBH I hate going to Sheffield station by car. I live in Oughtibridge and would far rather pick up (or indeed catch a train from) from Swinton. In fact I could probably get to Swinton nearly as quickly as Sheffield and it's a lot less trouble when you actually get there. Unfortunately my folks were going to Reading , there are no direct trains from Swinton to there.....

I rarely use Sheffield station for precisely this reason. If I’m picking people up from London, I ask them to get off at Chesterfield. My Nottingham friends get picked up from Dronfield and Mancunians from Dore. 

I’m lucky that I live in that side of town, but surely north Sheffielder’s can make use of Chapeltown or Meadowhall to cut down the number of times that they have to brave the awful access to Sheffield 

3 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

I think there's a breakdown in communication here.

It's all about how long the cars are waiting in an area where space is obviously at a premium.

Surely the people being picked up can have contacted those picking them up and be there for when they drive up. The point is they should not have to wait outside for any significant length of time, they just walk out from under the covered walkway when the car turns up, they get in and off they go, In theory the vehicle doesn't need to be there any longer than it would if actually dropping someone off ?

TBH I hate going to Sheffield station by car. I live in Oughtibridge and would far rather pick up (or indeed catch a train from) from Swinton. In fact I could probably get to Swinton nearly as quickly as Sheffield and it's a lot less trouble when you actually get there. Unfortunately my folks were going to Reading , there are no direct trains from Swinton to there.....

Ok. Where do you wait near the station waiting for the phone call. Not an easy thing to do.

31 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Ok. Where do you wait near the station waiting for the phone call. Not an easy thing to do.

In the multi-storey car park next to the station, where there's 30 minutes free parking.

2 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

In the multi-storey car park next to the station, where there's 30 minutes free parking.

Yep. That will work, a constant stream of cars in and out through the barriers at busy periods. 

On 17/11/2019 at 18:41, Daven said:

Think there is already a thread about this issue.

Consensus is that it's best to drop off at the layby/bus stop across the road from the station. Only a short walk across the pelcan crossing to the station.

When picking up, I park on the back road below the old post office and before Pond Street and wait for a call to say the person I am collecting has arrived then pick them up in the layby/bus stop just beyond the blade.

Obviously it depends which direction you intend traveling after said pickup/dropoff.

As I said .

On 17/11/2019 at 18:41, Daven said:

Think there is already a thread about this issue.

Consensus is that it's best to drop off at the layby/bus stop across the road from the station. Only a short walk across the pelcan crossing to the station.

When picking up, I park on the back road below the old post office and before Pond Street and wait for a call to say the person I am collecting has arrived then pick them up in the layby/bus stop just beyond the blade.

Obviously it depends which direction you intend traveling after said pickup/dropoff.

Do you mean the bus stop that has multiple pole mounted signs stating "No stopping except local buses" near the Howard? 

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yep. That will work, a constant stream of cars in and out through the barriers at busy periods. 

It works absolutely fine.   Unfortunately too many lazy self-important types would rather park up and sit waiting in the in the drop-off bay causing mayhem behind them.

I too wish there was far more enforcement by staff or some other organisation to move people on if they are sat waiting in any of the drop-off zones.  People wouldn't expect to get away with it outside in airport but somehow they think train stations it's perfectly acceptable to cause inconvenience to others.

Exactly the same thing happens at meadowhall interchange.  So many times I've seen cars parked up in the hatch drop-off area getting in the way whilst they sit there waiting for there are family and friends to arrive rather than spending 2 minutes actually bothering to park in a proper bay.

Edited by ECCOnoob

27 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It works absolutely fine.   Unfortunately too many lazy self-important types would rather park up and sit waiting in the in the drop-off bay causing mayhem behind them.

I too wish there was far more enforcement by staff or some other organisation to move people on if they are sat waiting in any of the drop-off zones.  People wouldn't expect to get away with it outside in airport but somehow they think train stations it's perfectly acceptable to cause inconvenience to others.

Exactly the same thing happens at meadowhall interchange.  So many times I've seen cars parked up in the hatch drop-off area getting in the way whilst they sit there waiting for there are family and friends to arrive rather than spending 2 minutes actually bothering to park in a proper bay.

I dream of the Meadowhall issue at LMS!

Spot on post.

Edited by *_ash_*