Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

How To Run Windows 7 Beyond 14 January 2020

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

From a data recovery position I hope you aren't suggesting an SSD for the whole system Zach. SSD makes space by permanently removing anything deleted. That's why the best setup is for SSD for the OS and a platter drive for data retention.

But in view of M$'s patent traps being built into Linux I won't be moving to Windows 10 ever.

 

No, not at all. Most general users use a single drive, if that drive is removed, there is no chance of them accidentally losing data. If you read my post properly, it was aimed at trying other operating systems due to misinformed people trying to cause fear about the end of Windows 7 support, and/or if they just wanted a change. Problems may occur if multiple drives are in the same system and this can be eliminated by unplugging them during the OS install.

 

Quote

The obvious option is to actually just disable all network drivers and use a different OS for internet use.

I'd really like to hear your reasons for this!

Quote

I was talking to a colleague about the issue my youngest was having with the 'wonderful' Windows 10 - the work colleague had exactly the same experience where 10 created another username instead of her correct one and had to retrieve here user data from the new account. I think I will pass. As someone once wrote on a GNU/Linux forum, 'At least with GNU/Linux you know what is going on underneath the hood' .., because it is open source.

I have never seen this happen unless the user has repeatedly used the wrong credentials. Maybe worth going into more detail about what and how it happened, "talking to a colleague" doesn't really give the full story. 

 

Quote

I won't be moving to Windows 10 ever

I think you've made that clear many times. The problem is that you feel the need to push your feelings on everyone. It might be worth remembering that there are people on here that do, or have worked in the industry and have a lot of experience and knowledge. They tend to speak from experience and not just look for quotes from web pages or the the old chestnut...."my mate said"

 

Use the the OS you want and enjoy it but until you get the facts 100% right about the evils of other operating systems and programs, it might be worth holding back a bit.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possibly some people who are still using Windows 7 are doing so because they are not confident computer users and don’t like change. In this case, any of the Linux distros are likely to confuse them more and arguably may not be a good alternative. It is not all about how the desktop looks. Many other factors come into play. When set up correctly, Windows 10 is familiar enough for Windows 7 users to eventually come to terms with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Jomie said:

Possibly some people who are still using Windows 7 are doing so because they are not confident computer users and don’t like change. In this case, any of the Linux distros are likely to confuse them more and arguably may not be a good alternative. It is not all about how the desktop looks. Many other factors come into play. When set up correctly, Windows 10 is familiar enough for Windows 7 users to eventually come to terms with. 

Well put.

 

I'm ok with Linux but every now and again I have to go on the net to find and an answer. The answer usually involves terminal and command line etc. Not the type of thing that anyone new or not confident really wants or possibly understands. I know it's a learning curve but most new users I meet just want a click and go type of setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, @Jomie I have been attempting to 'come to terms' with W10  for a good while now, and have given up. Yes, it is quicker than W7 to start, but I just can't adopt it as I did moving from W95 through the later versions. I also find the 'Windows knows best' impression I get to be an off-putting experience, along with the hoops I had to jump through to try and persuade it that I and not it would decide when the clunky and slow updates would take place.

 

Fortunately, that machine  was my late mums' and has now passed to a nephew - I shall be keeping my W7 machine for as long as physically possible, and no, I'm not paranoid over the 'security' implications - I know at least three people still using XP by choice, and they have never had an incident.

 

However, I am learning the Linux way on a second machine, and to be honest, finding it easier than I did trying to tame W10. Horses for courses, I guess.

 

 @zach I understand your comments, too, but still not convinced.

Edited by RollingJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/11/2019 at 14:00, Ghozer said:

wouldnt even boot on the 3 laptops I tried before.. 

Hi Ghozer
        Just caught up with your post
 I bought this Samsung NC10 (new) around 10 years ago at the time I think it was running Windows XP on 1gb of ram a bit later in its life I up it to 2gb ram  and a 120 gb SSD for a install of Windoes 7 but it was very slow. After this I tried a a couple of versions of Linux but it was not much faster
I then stopped using the NC 10 years ago it till a few weeks ago when I read about Cloudready which I think is a stripped down version of Google operating system so out of curiousity I thought I would try to install it on the NC10.
After 3 tries I was evetually successfull with the install.
Its never been lightning fast and I dont know how it performs other than the internet but it is definitely fast enough not to get frustrated for internet use. 

Click on links below

Loading operating System

http://postimg.cc/64ct3t82

 

Loaded and waiting for password

(Cloudready insignia  top right corner)

 

http://postimg.cc/YLCYj2dT

 

https://www.neverware.com/#intro

Edited by alankearn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gave it a try today on a Samsung NB30 and found it disappointing.  First it couldn't see any wireless networks, not sure if it was because the wifi setting wasn't on (it showed off in the settings, and didn't seem to want to stay on) and wouldn't proceed.

 

When I did a forced continue it just said it would take 20 minutes to complete.  No progress bar.  When I came back to the machine it wasn't even switched on, it had never installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I gave it a try today on a Samsung NB30 and found it disappointing.  First it couldn't see any wireless networks, not sure if it was because the wifi setting wasn't on (it showed off in the settings, and didn't seem to want to stay on) and wouldn't proceed.

 

When I did a forced continue it just said it would take 20 minutes to complete.  No progress bar.  When I came back to the machine it wasn't even switched on, it had never installed.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with it

There are 32 and 64 bit versions of the OS and as the NC 10 was a bit old in the teeth I installed the 32bit version (there is no support for this version).

As I am not a computer genius I must have been a bit lucky getting it to install.

Another screen shot here

 

http://postimg.cc/q6RYZLnm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/11/2019 at 22:53, swarfendor437 said:

From a data recovery position I hope you aren't suggesting an SSD for the whole system Zach. SSD makes space by permanently removing anything deleted. That's why the best setup is for SSD for the OS and a platter drive for data retention. The obvious option is to actually just disable all network drivers and use a different OS for internet use. But in view of M$'s patent traps being built into Linux I won't be moving to Windows 10 ever. I was talking to a colleague about the issue my youngest was having with the 'wonderful' Windows 10 - the work colleague had exactly the same experience where 10 created another username instead of her correct one and had to retrieve here user data from the new account. I think I will pass. As someone once wrote on a GNU/Linux forum, 'At least with GNU/Linux you know what is going on underneath the hood' .., because it is open source.

What weed are you smoking?  SSDs are the superior back up medium when compared to mechanical drives.  If a mechanical drive fails, you are toast unless you are able to find a service that can recover the data by disassembling the drive.  SSDs however, when they fail because they have exhausted their PE cycles are specced by JEDEC to still be readable for a year after this happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/12/2019 at 01:05, Albert the Cat said:

What weed are you smoking?  SSDs are the superior back up medium when compared to mechanical drives.  If a mechanical drive fails, you are toast unless you are able to find a service that can recover the data by disassembling the drive.  SSDs however, when they fail because they have exhausted their PE cycles are specced by JEDEC to still be readable for a year after this happens.

To avoid this:

 

https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/recover-deleted-files-on-ssd.html

 

It looks painful thanks to TRIM. That is why I am skeptical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.