Joker Film Analysis

I would like to discuss the ramifications of this film. Subjected views. 

I found it fascinating.

47 minutes ago, Richard 3 said:

I would like to discuss the ramifications of this film. Subjected views. 

I found it fascinating.

I believe it has already been discussed on the " Rate the last fim you have seen" thread in this section, I remember asking someone to compare Joachim Phoenix's portrayal to Heath Ledger's in the Dark Knight movie.

I'm sorry if already discussed before. But, I think it needs further revaluation. 

Great film, good look at the long slow descent into madness and violence, bit like the older film Falling down

On 15/11/2019 at 22:55, melthebell said:

Great film, good look at the long slow descent into madness and violence, bit like the older film Falling down

Agreed, Mel. 

After the hooha about people walking out because of the violence and subject matter, I was surprised it wasn't more frightening. The scary part for me was his unravelling, rather than the violence portrayed. 

3 minutes ago, feargal said:

Agreed, Mel. 

After the hooha about people walking out because of the violence and subject matter, I was surprised it wasn't more frightening. The scary part for me was his unravelling, rather than the violence portrayed. 

walking out? ive watched it twice in 3 days (first film in recent memory ive watched more than once in quick succession), really enjoyed it

On 15/11/2019 at 17:55, melthebell said:

Falling Down was one hell of a film, best ever performance by Michael Douglas. Not seen Joker yet but the wife keeps pestering me to go. My problem with movie theatres is the stink of popcorn. lol. I think I will dig out my Falling Down VHS copy and watch it for what must be about the 50th time tonight.:thumbsup:

I also enjoyed the movie very atmospheric, although some people have been offended by the use of the Gary Glitter song I think it was a good choice, and from what I have read people have walked out because of the violence which I didn't feel was too bad.

The idea that people walked out because of the violence is silly. It's not even that violent a movie really, 90% of action movies contain more violence than Joker and most of them have ratings that allow kids to watch them. What Joker has is a few brief moments of extreme violence and a fair bit of implied menace.

Next bit in spoilers just in case...

Spoiler

I think the main reason that some people had such a negative reaction to the movie is that it doesn't allow you the cathartic experience of seeing the 'baddie' get their comeuppance, unlike the similarly themed Falling Down, because it's an origin story for a supervillian. Instead you're being made to watch an ordinary guy with some personal issues get pushed towards the dark side by the events that happen to him and environment he live in and you know that he won't become aware of the error of his ways by the end of the film because becoming the unrepentently evil nemesis is literally the point of his character development. He has to be that character by the end of the film and the audience has to follow his descent like a voyeur.

Anyway, superb film with an amazing climax.

Edited by Funky_Gibbon

15 hours ago, Funky_Gibbon said:

The idea that people walked out because of the violence is silly. It's not even that violent a movie really, 90% of action movies contain more violence than Joker and most of them have ratings that allow kids to watch them. What Joker has is a few brief moments of extreme violence and a fair bit of implied menace.

Next bit in spoilers just in case...

Reveal spoiler

I think the main reason that some people had such a negative reaction to the movie is that it doesn't allow you the cathartic experience of seeing the 'baddie' get their comeuppance, unlike the similarly themed Falling Down, because it's an origin story for a supervillian. Instead you're being made to watch an ordinary guy with some personal issues get pushed towards the dark side by the events that happen to him and environment he live in and you know that he won't become aware of the error of his ways by the end of the film because becoming the unrepentently evil nemesis is literally the point of his character development. He has to be that character by the end of the film and the audience has to follow his descent like a voyeur.

Anyway, superb film with an amazing climax.

I don't think they're boycotting or walking out because of too much violence, they claim it will insight violence from those who feel like they can identify with the character - shunned from society, alone, wanting to get back at everybody etc ( I haven't seen it yet, this is what I've read) The harsh reality for these loonies is that it's done the opposite and people seemed to have flocked to this movie which is getting some pretty good reviews. 

20 hours ago, neilf said:

I also enjoyed the movie very atmospheric, although some people have been offended by the use of the Gary Glitter song I think it was a good choice, and from what I have read people have walked out because of the violence which I didn't feel was too bad.

Two things for me - & the wife come to that - thought it was very disapointing.

Lot of Hype, poor film, only last 15 / 20 mins worth watching.

& hopefully I'll upset a few with the whole Garry Glitter thing,

It wasn't Garry Glitter / Paul Raven's music that was bad.

By all means hate the guy - Don't play his music so he don't get the Royalties fair enough.

but walk out of a film that you've paid good money to see and travelled to because one of his songs

is used in the film ???????

(which from all the bad press,  you already knew was going to be in it) 

Christmas will never be the same without Rock n Roll Christmas.

I thought it was excellent, more so that it was a comic book film and is completely different to the regular fare for this genre.

Phoenix's performance was brilliant and will get a rightly earned Oscar nomination.

My only trepidation is that a squeal is being much talked about and I just can't fathom how they'd ever follow the first?