Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Let us hope that the mortgage providers will delve deeper in to the risk issues from now onwards. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as ever, this has all been more or less solved by our more civilised neighbours over the north sea.

 

google : dutch floating houses.

 

basically, houses that can float. except often they don't, just when needed.

 

instead of spending ever-more money pushing flood water ever-further down-river, to new and exciting places where it's never been a problem before. Just allow some areas to flood, sometimes for months at a time. *AND* use these very same areas for truly affordable housing. 

(obviously, doing your shopping run in a canoe won't be to everyone's taste, but to others, it's the very essence of a good time) 

 

hmm, let me see. will we go for the cheap option that works? or carry on spending billions on concrete walls that don't really solve the problem?

 

we're British, so that clearly means option B : the eye-wateringly expensive one that doesn't work. 

 

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure I've seen some new build houses that seemed to be designed with flooding in mind...basically the ground floor was the car garage and then the house itself was above this.

I think the basic idea was thatif it flooded then only the garage would flood, not the actual house proper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

I'm sure I've seen some new build houses that seemed to be designed with flooding in mind...basically the ground floor was the car garage and then the house itself was above this.

I think the basic idea was thatif it flooded then only the garage would flood, not the actual house proper.

It should be made compulsory that all builders should build houses that are designed  to be adapted to prevent water penetrating houses. After all houses are basically a large brick container with holes in.. Air vents, doors, windows etc.

If i lived in a high risk home that could be flooded, i would fit sealed water proof shutters over all air vents, in front of doors and windows. Even other areas in the home Toilets, Sink wastes could be retro fitted with some thing to stop water coming in. 

It beggars belief we can send people to the moon, but we can't stop water getting into our homes...

Why do you never see anyone taking action to prevent water getting in to their homes?

Surely it can't be that hard, sand bags are a waste of time...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/11/2019 at 09:31, alandrea0 said:

It should be made compulsory that all builders should build houses that are designed  to be adapted to prevent water penetrating houses. After all houses are basically a large brick container with holes in.. Air vents, doors, windows etc.

 

When you are buying a house the solicitor is meant to highlight the flooding risk. At least I believe so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, El Cid said:

When you are buying a house the solicitor is meant to highlight the flooding risk. At least I believe so.

Buyers are warned of flood risk, but it is a waste of time. If buyers and builders don't do anything to prevent water getting into their homes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, alandrea0 said:

Buyers are warned of flood risk, but it is a waste of time. If buyers and builders don't do anything to prevent water getting into their homes...

Barely does a week go buy without someone crying to the newspaper about the "hundred flaws in my new build".

 

Everyone  knows a new build is a massive gamble and will be full of problems, but they must have that brand new house that has never been lived in.  There's something very wrong with this whole obsession of home ownership and trying to skip several rungs of the housing ladder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Barely does a week go buy without someone crying to the newspaper about the "hundred flaws in my new build".

 

Everyone  knows a new build is a massive gamble and will be full of problems, but they must have that brand new house that has never been lived in.  There's something very wrong with this whole obsession of home ownership and trying to skip several rungs of the housing ladder.

Only a small proportion of houses affected by the Don flooding were new builds. 

 

AFAIK the Don hadn't flooded eg Bentley before 2007 - try to find anything about the Don flooding big time before 2007 (apart from the Dale Dyke Dam disaster in 1864).

 

All these people talking about "not building on floodplains" are being wise after the event (of 2007).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.