Flooding

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Nearly all Sheffield's steel industry was built on the flood plain of the Don due to the vast amounts of water needed in the steel making process.

Hence all the flooding round Meadowhall in 2007. The Council put a lot of money and effort into dealing with that  I'm talking about the underground reservoir/ run off that runs alongside Woolley wood bottom,) and it seems to have worked to some extent.

Edited by Anna B

The area around Fishlakes has seen water management activity since Roman times.

The Don has had several routes to the sea caused by human and natural changes.

The Romans created fisheries in the area and probably cut a drain north to the Aire.

The monasteries also created and managed fisheries.

The Parishes were so wealthy they were fought over by Selby, York, Lincoln and Cambridge colleges for income.

The current outflow  northwards to Goole replaced the many eastern  routes to the Trent including Adlingfleet (one of the richest parishes in the country in its day).

Vermuyden might have been a successful hero in many parts of East Anglia- in this area he was regarded as creating a financial and agricultural disaster and a villain with violent backers (qv Idle Stop) 

The border of South Yorkshire with West, North and the East Riding Yorkshire still follow the courses of the once great River Went

The historic border with Lincolnshire and course of the Don south of Thorne and north of Crowle then through Fockerby where you can tell the width of the original river as the two approaching roads from the south west follow the original embankments.

3 hours ago, Janus said:

I don't understand how these developers getting the planning consent on the flood plains-must be quite a few brown envelopes passed around.

The planning process does take into account the hydrological surveys of the Environmental Agency not the Council. 

The guidelines set by the Government prevent Councils from denying planning because of the 'possibility' of flooding. They can and do raise concerns with the Government. Thats where the brown envelopes would be.

12 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The guidelines set by the Government prevent Councils from denying planning because of the 'possibility' of flooding.

Sounds like the activities of a third world country. 

10 hours ago, Janus said:

Sounds like the activities of a third world country. 

Is there anywhere that flooding is not possible?

I remember back in the late 60's in Deepcar at about 600 feet above sea level our neighbours being flooded because of run off water from fields after a few days heavy rain. Probably never happened before or since - but certainly "possible".

On 15/11/2019 at 20:56, Longcol said:

Nearly all Sheffield's steel industry was built on the flood plain of the Don due to the vast amounts of water needed in the steel making process.

Yes, but they have mitigated for that. For example, why do you think the Thrybergh Rolling Mill has its floor raised 20ft in the air?

I had  a bit of curiosity regarding distance above sea level of various locations in the local area.

Logically thinking, the greater the distance a river is from the sea, the higher the ground-to a point. So just thinking of the Don going out towards Doncaster/Fishlake!  and it's path to the Humber and so on.

On the website , I'm using post codes. GPS is said to be not so accurate?

My home location results 80m above. Living part way up a hill I checked the sea level of post codes that run parallel at the top & bottom of my road and 80 seems about right.

S9  1EP   which I have used as the guide for where Meadowhall is, displays 30m above and is of course close to the Don. Not sure what you guys think about the figure for that area.

Edited by Janus
Typo

Reading today about a report from Unearthed, the investigative arm of Greenpeace.  They have found that thousands of homes are set to be built across England in high-risk flood zones, including 3,000 in an at risk area near Fishlake.   Additionally, they have also foumd 5,123 homes are planned for medium risk areas, including a 'new town', just over a mile from Fishlake. 

1 minute ago, Baron99 said:

Reading today about a report from Unearthed, the investigative arm of Greenpeace.  They have found that thousands of homes are set to be built across England in high-risk flood zones, including 3,000 in an at risk area near Fishlake.   Additionally, they have also foumd 5,123 homes are planned for medium risk areas, including a 'new town', just over a mile from Fishlake. 

And Environment Agency Staff have been cut by 20% in the last ten years. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

thousands of homes are set to be built across England in high-risk flood zones, 

It is so  wrong what the developers are trying to do. 

There is clearly no concern for the predicament that the potential home owners are going to find themselves in.  

@Baron99

It is a good thing that you have posted this. I really do hope that all the  potential buyers become aware of the issue, assuming the houses are built. 

16 hours ago, Janus said:

It is so  wrong what the developers are trying to do. 

There is clearly no concern for the predicament that the potential home owners are going to find themselves in.  

@Baron99

It is a good thing that you have posted this. I really do hope that all the  potential buyers become aware of the issue, assuming the houses are built. 

As I said in an earlier post, I'm surprised that you could get mortgage on properties in high risk flood areas after the banks & building societies have carried out their conveyancing checks. 

Let us hope that the mortgage providers will delve deeper in to the risk issues from now onwards.