Flooding

This flooding has more to do with climate change and the polluters are not god, would call it an act by the devil myself.

If the owners of grouse moors stopped draining the blanket bogs and halted burning of the heather, maybe less water would flow into the rivers.

1 hour ago, dutch said:

This flooding has more to do with climate change and the polluters are not god, would call it an act by the devil myself.

what a load of rubbish climate change my a...s   

more like to do with drains are blocked as per normal...

3 minutes ago, grand said:

Yes those Venetian drains really are a disgrace aren't they

46 minutes ago, grand said:

Are the blocked drains causing the heavy rain?

From what I've seen on tv over the past few days, most of the homes that are flooded appear to be of the modern variety, say built within the last 25 years, by the look of them & clearly on flood plains.  It's also notable that many lack front gardens, instead have hard standings to the front of properties that hold water. 

Local authorities have to get a grip on allowing developers to build properties on such land unless they can guarantee that the design of the properties will withstand, let's say, floodwaters of at least a metre. 

I'm surprised that people can actually get mortgages for such properties. 

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

From what I've seen on tv over the past few days, most of the homes that are flooded appear to be of the modern variety, say built within the last 25 years, by the look of them & clearly on flood plains.  It's also notable that many lack front gardens, instead have hard standings to the front of properties that hold water. 

Local authorities have to get a grip on allowing developers to build properties on such land unless they can guarantee that the design of the properties will withstand, let's say, floodwaters of at least a metre. 

I'm surprised that people can actually get mortgages for such properties. 

I don't think you've been to Bentley then - like most former mining villages round Doncaster most houses are ex council / coal board dating back to the 30's.

Edited by Longcol

1 minute ago, gaz 786 said:

What would have happened if the floods that devastated South Yorkshire happened in a stockbroker belt down south? Would the government have been as slow to help out I think not 😡

Troops. Cobra. The lot.

A £1m house in Henley is more important than a £100k house in Bentley.

Even the thickest of the thick can’t deny that now.

9 minutes ago, gaz 786 said:

What would have happened if the floods that devastated South Yorkshire happened in a stockbroker belt down south? Would the government have been as slow to help out I think not 😡

We know exactly what would have happened because it did happen. 

Does no one remember the massive flooding down in Surrey a few years ago? 

It was Jeremy Corbyn who visited South Yorkshire first, and then personally insisted that Boris Johnson call it a National Emergency so a Cobra meeting could be called, and help granted (like the Army being drafted in.)

He wrote; 'If this had happened in Surrey it would have been declared a National emergency.'  

The letter can be seen online

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-urges-boris-johnson-to-call-cobra-meeting-over-northern-floods-1-10098435

Edited by Anna B

1 hour ago, gaz 786 said:

You got anything to support that?

The floods happened just 7 days ago. The army is deployed, there's been emergency committees involved, the prime minister has visited the scene and steps are being sorted out for emergency funding.

I really don't know what more you expect to happen in less than a week. 

This whole North-South thing is just horse crap.

It could have happened outside the pm's front door but there's very little more that could or should have been done in the time frame.

The p.m. is hardly going to be able to stand there and stop the tide physically is he?    Neither is he realistically expected to stand there for hours and pumping out water, carrying supplies and piling up sandbags for the residents.

Things get done in London.  Things get sorted from his office.  Things get decided in his cabinet room.  Not standing in his waders pointing at things and putting on a sad face for the cameras.  

Just because Corbyn has wound up the PR machine to max and done a load of electioneering photo ops doesn't mean that the current government hasn't done anything they should have.

The media and woe is me talking heads are just sensationalising and whipping up hysteria to get the numbers up and sell more papers.

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It was Jeremy Corbyn who visited South Yorkshire first, and then personally insisted that Boris Johnson call it a National Emergency so a Cobra meeting could be called, and help granted (like the Army being drafted in.)

He wrote; 'If this had happened in Surrey it would have been declared a National emergency.'  

The letter can be seen online

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/jeremy-corbyn-urges-boris-johnson-to-call-cobra-meeting-over-northern-floods-1-10098435

It's not as Jeremy's got much else to do anyway.   He certainly not busy acting like he opposition leader.

"Personally insisted" my backside.  He's campaigning in election. He does whatever gives good PR.    I am not buying the hysterics in the papers either.   All these residents going on about no support and banging on about Boris not doing anything.... Nonsense.

I was seeing with my own eyes and hearing reports as early as Thursday last week about severe flood warnings, evacuations and involvement from the emergency services.  The news reports were all on about it all day Friday and the weekend.   There was footage being show of emergency services closing down roads and evacuating people.

Somebody must have organised that and made decisions.

There is no guarantee on any natural disaster.  Weather is like that it's unpredictable.  It was just as unpredictable for us in 2007.  

I am not unsympathetic to anyone having to go through the situation but I want to know why all the focus on the prime minister and the Tories.   Why is it that everything that happens in this country at the moment is jumped upon by the anti-tory brigade and used as some stick.

Why are questions not been asked about the responsibilities of the local authorities, the rivers and canal trust, the Environment Agency.  

Why is nobody looking into what happened with the money from the last batch of flood defence funding.  What has been done, how often and by whom.  What if anything failed and if so who was responsible for it.

There is potentially a chain of failure here and it doesn't all lie with the p.m no matter how many times people shout it