The Standard Of Driving Has Become Woeful.

11 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

front ones come on yes, (on new cars)

but back ones don't

Too cheap to pay for Auto-lights is what I say.  Flash new car but zero options, bottom spec.

3 hours ago, stifflersmom said:

too much mobile phone use really annoys me. 

So often with cars you know full well have hands-free as standard.

1 hour ago, geared said:

Too cheap to pay for Auto-lights is what I say.  Flash new car but zero options, bottom spec.

Don't all (reasonably-) modern cars come with autolights these days?

Maybe not on the automotive Aldi that are Dacias (hey, nowt wrong with them)...but surely just about all others have that, by now?

I'm not throwing any stones: I'm still getting to grips with mine's auto high beam switcher (feels unnatural, I see glare from oncoming headlights around a bend, and still think/apprehend that they're not going to switch off :blush:)

IMHO, the standard of driving is not getting so much worse, as congestion levels are increasing far too fast, and causing more frustration earlier (and associated driving manoeuvers borne from that frustration). 

Edited by L00b

Got to love threads about drivers, by drivers. Invariably full of drivers whose skill levels are beyond reproach.

Winter is coming so I'm already looking forward to the annual "Advice about driving in snow" thread.

12 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Got to love threads about drivers, by drivers. Invariably full of drivers whose skill levels are beyond reproach.

Winter is coming so I'm already looking forward to the annual "Advice about driving in snow" thread.

Ah, topical: we've had our first dusting of snow today :thumbsup:

Roads well gritted, and everyone on winter tyres (they're mandatory as of 1st Nov here), plus it didn't settle much (bit of white in fields and on verges): commute completely normal, just a tiny bit of unusual delay from a licence-less car-thing holding everyone up at 30, then a crane truck (all that was missing, was cattle on the road to make it a full house :lol:)

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Don't all (reasonably-) modern cars come with autolights these days?

Given the number of different cars I see at night with just DRL's on I don't think it's a standard option yet.

LED DRL's can be amazingly bright at night.

37 minutes ago, L00b said:

Ah, topical: we've had our first dusting of snow today :thumbsup:

Roads well gritted, and everyone on winter tyres (they're mandatory as of 1st Nov here), plus it didn't settle much (bit of white in fields and on verges): commute completely normal, just a tiny bit of unusual delay from a licence-less car-thing holding everyone up at 30, then a crane truck (all that was missing, was cattle on the road to make it a full house :lol:)

And the first ball out for the annual SF winter thread bingo is winter tyres, that’s winter tyres ;);););)

16 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

The vast majority of drivers are ok but it only takes a few bad drivers with poor driving skills; an attitude that the roads are entirely theirs with their inconsiderate driving & parking where they shouldn't, leading on to causing delays in traffic movement & inconveniencing pedestrians to get the rest of us a bad name. 

Edited by Baron99

On 17/11/2019 at 23:17, *_ash_* said:

Just finished another film too, just in time for thread :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RejiQgx2VU

Nice compilation Ash. It saddens me when fellow road users don't follow the rules and risk others safety as well as their own. Being mindful of these hazards on our roads is very useful and I thank you for the knowledge without the stress of being in that environment.

1 hour ago, Hadron said:

Nice compilation Ash. It saddens me when fellow road users don't follow the rules and risk others safety as well as their own. Being mindful of these hazards on our roads is very useful and I thank you for the knowledge without the stress of being in that environment.

Thanks. Don't forget parts 1 2 and 3 :hihi: (my editing is getting a bit better now though)

Edited by *_ash_*

I've noticed a big increase of people afraid of the dark since the clocks went back and tootling along 50 or 60 mph limit roads (straight roads too) at 20 and 30 mph.

I've recently driven past a few people on the M1 going slower than HGV's, not sure if it's the dark though?

One idiot last night was as also driving with only side-lights on as well.

1 hour ago, geared said:

I've recently driven past a few people on the M1 going slower than HGV's, not sure if it's the dark though?

One idiot last night was as also driving with only side-lights on as well.

Must be universal, that. Got them here too. It is either the darkness, or traffic volume levels in darkness.

Or, subject to the time of day, the wrong colour of rain, the sun at the wrong angle on the horizon, or the wrong amount of grit for the ambient temperature.

;)

Edited by L00b