The Standard Of Driving Has Become Woeful.

My late partner's pet peeve was what we nicknamed the lane changers waltz where on motorways or approaching roundabouts a driver tries every lane to get that 10 seconds ahead

16 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

I drive a Toyota hybrid.   (and thus an automatic box). The handbook says you should not move it into neutral whilst waiting at traffic lights etc but hold it on the footbrake.  That's why an increasing number of cars are seen with brake lights on whilst standing.  

That advice is usually to prevent any excess wear on the gearbox by shifting when you don't need to.

Most motoring organisations have the opposite advice though, because a great number of accidents are caused by people letting off the footbrake and going into the car in front.

The 2018 figures for South Yorkshire were 41 killed, 879 seriously injured an 2,662 slight injuries. The political parties are fine with those statistics so no action necessary.

The last thing they want to do is remove tax income from roads and start making roads safer

36 minutes ago, DavidFrance said:

I drive a Toyota hybrid.   (and thus an automatic box). The handbook says you should not move it into neutral whilst waiting at traffic lights etc but hold it on the footbrake.  That's why an increasing number of cars are seen with brake lights on whilst standing.  Annoying but just look elsewhere.   And as for "fog" rear lights in heavy rain. Agreed they are not necessary on some road surfaces but where there is heavy spray these high intensity rear lamps could save lives. And they help stop people tailgating at a time when they should be leaving even greater space . 

But not in queueing traffic. As for 'tailgating, just slow down and leave more space in front of yourself,

Another annoying trend is people  indicating right at a roundabout then going straight across 

Less annoying than not indicating at all and going right round.

6 hours ago, alchresearch said:

People taking the "racing line" (the red one in the pic) on roundabouts is my bugbear

roundaboutv3.jpg

I hate that too, especially the way they look at you as if to say what's wrong  when you blast the horn to wake them up to the fact there is another lane with a car in it and they are going to sideswipe you.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

I hate that too, especially the way they look at you as if to say what's wrong  when you blast the horn to wake them up to the fact there is another lane with a car in it and they are going to sideswipe you.

This is becoming common place. It's almost as if its parsimony in reverse. Lemming like death swerves to reach the target/destination in a testimony roll via hierarchy.

Edited by Richard 3
Grammar.

The number of drivers, who have forgotten the purpose of the yellow hatched boxes at junctions & bus drivers are also guilty of occupying them when their road ahead isn't clear. 

To many drivers seem to be afraid of sitting & waiting until their road ahead is clear for fear of someone behind them pipping their horn. 

The lack of indication is amazing.  From Sainsburys to Wadsley Lane I'm usually the only one signalling, or signalling before changing lanes. I also think the speed of some drivers on heavily parked roads is dangerous. What ever happened to 'drive to the conditions not the speed limit'.

On 14/11/2019 at 22:34, simonj said:

And the ones who indicate as they start the turn, or after, or not at all.

Yes yes, these people. The people who rush up to a roundabout with no indicator forcing you to stop - they're going straight on aren't they. No, they're turning left.

Yes, these people. When I'm king, I will have these people executed on live TV.

And drivers who cut corners when turning right or swing wide right when turning left.

Cars can turn at 90 degrees if you are travelling at an appropriate speed and turn the steering wheel.