The Standard Of Driving Has Become Woeful.

7 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Thanks. Don't forget parts 1 2 and 3 :hihi: (my editing is getting a bit better now though)

Ash what camera is it your using as it’s got decent clear images 

I hate it when people are indicating to turn right but don't move over to the middle of the road and just stop in the middle of the lane or even to the left.

19 hours ago, AMR67 said:

I hate it when people are indicating to turn right but don't move over to the middle of the road and just stop in the middle of the lane or even to the left.

Or swinging to the right to clear their back wheels as if they're turning left in an articulated lorry.

However it seems a bonus when anyone indicates more than 10yards from a junction these days.

13 minutes ago, FORE said:

(...)

However it seems a bonus when anyone indicates more than 10yards from a junction these days.

Shouldn't matter, if you leave enough of a safety interval ;) (said in jest, of course...but just don't get me started about those: there's at least two pile-ups a day (morning rush, evening rush) on local motorways atm, and the local traffic is so congested, yet so geographically-concentrated, that they end up gridlocking everywhere, incl. secondary and tertiary networks :mad:).

I'm averaging 10 mph on my commutes this week.

Edited by L00b

On 15/11/2019 at 16:36, Hadron said:

The 2018 figures for South Yorkshire were 41 killed, 879 seriously injured an 2,662 slight injuries. The political parties are fine with those statistics so no action necessary.

The last thing they want to do is remove tax income from roads and start making roads safer

We have reached the level of congenital madness. Are we so insular to deny the figures?  879 seriously injured and we still drive like lemmings, I think your tax analysis is spot on.  

On 18/11/2019 at 08:04, stifflersmom said:

Lack of indication and too much mobile phone use really annoys me.  My biggest bugbear is that there just seems to be a lack of awareness with many drivers. Turning right at a light controlled crossroads on a single carriageway road ( eg Netheredge crossroads or Psalter Lane/ Junction Rd) for example...so many right turn drivers don't progress far enough into the junction, which prevents people who want to drive straight ahead from making progress. It directly leads to congestion and is just lazy and inconsiderate. 

The problem is when you progress through a junction to turn right, and there are 2 or 3 red light jumpers coming the other way, you end up in the middle of the junction when the lights have gone green for the roads either side...

On 17/11/2019 at 13:59, Resident said:

So apply the handbrake and take your foot on the pedal. 

I drive auto for work and each manufacturer (and driver training) says to do this. 

On my vehicle a Seat Alhambra auto, it has a pull switch electric handbrake with another press switch behind it, I think it says auto hold. This switch when engaged, until turned off is basically another hand brake, but is completely automatic. Every time you stop, be it up hill, down hill or on the flat it engages holding the vehicle until the throttle is pressed to move away, either backwards or forwards then it releases. It is a marvelous piece of kit, never had it before as a fully auto system. Many of our previous 4 x 4 vehicles had hill hold, as does my missus's current 4 x 4 but not as effective as the Seat system by a long way.

Angel1.

54 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

On my vehicle a Seat Alhambra auto, it has a pull switch electric handbrake with another press switch behind it, I think it says auto hold. This switch when engaged, until turned off is basically another hand brake, but is completely automatic. Every time you stop, be it up hill, down hill or on the flat it engages holding the vehicle until the throttle is pressed to move away, either backwards or forwards then it releases. It is a marvelous piece of kit, never had it before as a fully auto system. Many of our previous 4 x 4 vehicles had hill hold, as does my missus's current 4 x 4 but not as effective as the Seat system by a long way.

Angel1.

My car has a similar system where if I stab the brake peddle when stopped it holds the car but I would question whether they would remain on hold under intense force, say from being rear ended. I think personally they would release, I could be wrong however can't say I've really looked in to it, just my guess, otherwise why not just have the handbrake, electrical or not 

Releasing if you've been rear-ended might actually lower the impact force the people inside feel.

of course you might well fly into the person in front of you.

On 17/11/2019 at 22:48, davyboy said:

This quite common in our area and judging by the number of  learner drivers under instruction   doing this  it must be taught. 

No, it’s not taught.  If it is, the instructor needs to read up. 

Something I've noticed more is that people who driver "crossover" type cars struggle to keep it on their side of the road, especially on bends.

On 17/11/2019 at 23:17, *_ash_* said:

Just finished another film too, just in time for thread :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RejiQgx2VU

Just spotted this, there's some good clips there but I must point out something about your last clip. You state, nothing to see here, but the clip starts with the car sat in the Advanced Stop Lines which can incur 3 penalty points and £100 fine so right from the off there's something wrong with the driver's road use.