The Standard Of Driving Has Become Woeful.

On 15/11/2019 at 16:03, DavidFrance said:

I drive a Toyota hybrid.   (and thus an automatic box). The handbook says you should not move it into neutral whilst waiting at traffic lights etc but hold it on the footbrake.  That's why an increasing number of cars are seen with brake lights on whilst standing.  Annoying but just look elsewhere.   And as for "fog" rear lights in heavy rain. Agreed they are not necessary on some road surfaces but where there is heavy spray these high intensity rear lamps could save lives. And they help stop people tailgating at a time when they should be leaving even greater space . 

So apply the handbrake and take your foot on the pedal. 

I drive auto for work and each manufacturer (and driver training) says to do this. 

Drivers who insist on driving down the middle of the road straddling the white line not knowing the width of their car away from parked cars in some cases it cannot be helped but there are those who think it’s the normal thing to do even on open roads, on my driving test you were taught to give way to traffic traveling uphill towards you where there are parked cars these day’s they just look at you like startled rabbits or the ones who don’t know what indicators are for and think you’re a mind reader, the standard of courteous driving has certainly dropped.

37 minutes ago, MEC176 said:

Drivers who insist on driving down the middle of the road straddling the white line not knowing the width of their car away from parked cars in some cases it cannot be helped but there are those who think it’s the normal thing to do even on open roads, on my driving test you were taught to give way to traffic traveling uphill towards you where there are parked cars these day’s they just look at you like startled rabbits or the ones who don’t know what indicators are for and think you’re a mind reader, the standard of courteous driving has certainly dropped.

The old “give way because you’re going up hill” one. I was not taught this at all. 

1 hour ago, tinfoilhat said:

The old “give way because you’re going up hill” one. I was not taught this at all. 

It is the other way round, tin foil. 

2 minutes ago, Janus said:

It is the other way round, tin foil. 

You know what I mean. ;) I’ve only come across this in Sheffield, nowhere else. What if the hill isn’t that steep, what if there’s a dip? 

I first read it in the highway code booklet during the 1970s. I cannot say how long this had been part of the HW code.

I believe the origin of the "rule" was due to it being more difficult for an HGV to set off again up the hill, than it was for the vehicle coming down the hill.

On 14/11/2019 at 19:58, chocki said:

Number of people driving without their lights on 😱😱😱

Very annoying, and more common now I think.

I think a lot of newer cars mislead people into thinking that the lights are on, because the dashboard is lit.

In the past, the dashboard being dark  was enough to alert you that your lights weren't on.

On 15/11/2019 at 17:20, rudds1 said:

Another annoying trend is people  indicating right at a roundabout then going straight across 

This quite common in our area and judging by the number of  learner drivers under instruction   doing this  it must be taught. 

Edited by davyboy

1 hour ago, *_ash_* said:

I think a lot of newer cars mislead people into thinking that the lights are on, because the dashboard is lit.

Either that or they think their LED lights are sufficient.

22 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Either that or they think their LED lights are sufficient.

front ones come on yes, (on new cars)

but back ones don't

Just finished another film too, just in time for thread :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RejiQgx2VU

Edited by *_ash_*

Lack of indication and too much mobile phone use really annoys me.  My biggest bugbear is that there just seems to be a lack of awareness with many drivers. Turning right at a light controlled crossroads on a single carriageway road ( eg Netheredge crossroads or Psalter Lane/ Junction Rd) for example...so many right turn drivers don't progress far enough into the junction, which prevents people who want to drive straight ahead from making progress. It directly leads to congestion and is just lazy and inconsiderate. 

12 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

In the past, the dashboard being dark  was enough to alert you that your lights weren't on.

What it needs now is a loud siren in the cabin connected to a light sensor. 

It gets dark and you've not put lights on then it goes off. 

Volume should be around 150db.