Gleadless Valley

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a house in the gaunt area of gleadless valley, and a lot of the posts about the area are 5+ years old... Anyone got any more update knowledge and feedback about the area? Is it crime ridden or just a bad rep?

Thanks!

9 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

Run away and don’t look back.

Good advice.  To the op. Just look at house  prices up there and ask yourself why are they so cheap and why have some houses been on market for a long time ?

Haha, it's a good point, but why is it such a bad area??

Idiots who live here cause problems plus other idiots come here from Arbourthorne , the Manor estate, the council has given homes to loads of immigrants that bring its own problems, litter and fly tipping is a problem, if only you could have seen the estate fifty years ago it was brilliant, you can only blame the council for letting it get in the state it now is i.e. giving properties to teenagers and problem families.

Sadly its the same everywhere these days.

3 hours ago, lazarus said:

Idiots who live here cause problems plus other idiots come here from Arbourthorne , the Manor estate, the council has given homes to loads of immigrants that bring its own problems, litter and fly tipping is a problem, if only you could have seen the estate fifty years ago it was brilliant, you can only blame the council for letting it get in the state it now is i.e. giving properties to teenagers and problem families.

Sadly its the same everywhere these days.

It's not the same everywhere. It's a council estate. Owner-occupied areas don't have those problems.

2 hours ago, amazon123 said:

It's not the same everywhere. It's a council estate. Owner-occupied areas don't have those problems.

There's a huge amount of owner occupied on Gleadless Valley.  It also covers a huge area. Whilst I agree there are pockets that may be undesirable there are  also pockets which aren't.  The fact people are quick to point out it's inadequacies leads to all areas being tarred with the same brush.

Houses are ranging in price from ÂŁ75,000 to ÂŁ120,000 and the lower priced one is in what I know to be a decent part.

I'd say to potential buyers, go and look, make enquiries and make your own mind up.

I moved off there around 5 years ago and spent my childhood living there. It's a lovely place for views and as a kid there's lots of woods and fields to play about in/on but I did notice a deterioration over the 11 or so years I was there. Crime increased and the new residents that were moving there we're quite rough so we looked at moving. I know people who still live round there and they say they don't get a great deal of bother but for me personally I wouldn't bother with the hassle. I'd say perhaps chance it if you was renting as it's liable you could be gone within a year if you didn't like it but I wouldn't advise buying. 

On 15/11/2019 at 12:11, kris99 said:

There's a huge amount of owner occupied on Gleadless Valley.  It also covers a huge area. Whilst I agree there are pockets that may be undesirable there are  also pockets which aren't.  The fact people are quick to point out it's inadequacies leads to all areas being tarred with the same brush.

Houses are ranging in price from ÂŁ75,000 to ÂŁ120,000 and the lower priced one is in what I know to be a decent part.

I'd say to potential buyers, go and look, make enquiries and make your own mind up.

I agree with this.

I live on the other side of the valley via Blackstock Road, and people comment on the reputation of the area, however, in the time I have been here, less than a year, I haven’t seen why it warrants the reputation it has. 

It’s a shame really because most areas have a down side. I think it’s unfair to tarnish a whole area because it is a council estate, and parts have, or have had its problems.

Like the quoted poster said, “There’s  a huge amount of owner occupied on Gleadless Valley”. Problems come from people, not the residential type, and people are everywhere. People also grow and change. How many of us are the same teenager they once were.

Give the valley, and the people in it a break. I’m not saying to the OP, “buy in Gleadless!” I’m just don’t think the area as a whole warrants the reputation.

Before I moved here, I looked at crime rates and it’s lower than other parts of Sheffield.

I don’t know the Gaunt Road area well at all, because I have no need to be there, but I would advise going around at different times and if you’re bold talking to people who live there.

Make an assessment from your own judgements, and take everything into consideration, including what people are saying. 

As I go around Sheffield, I realise people have a lot to say about areas, yet when I go there and engage with people from the areas, it suddenly seems different. Areas I wouldn’t have considered living in before, I now would. Perhaps that’s just me.