Traffic Gridlock In Nw Sheffield This Morning 14/11/2019

2 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

I don't think you quite understand, the tram routes were snarled up anyway, and in both directions !

So there would have been no point in opening the tramgates then would there.

I understand perfectly thank you.

The moral of the story is to always check traffic flow before leaving home - especially when there has been flood damage in the area.

Regards

Edited by Daven

17 hours ago, Daven said:

So there would have been no point in opening the tramgates then would there.

I understand perfectly thank you.

The moral of the story is to always check traffic flow before leaving home - especially when there has been flood damage in the area.

Regards

The trams were held up between Middlewood and leppings Lane and once clear of the junction then as far as I could see had a clear run so YES it would have made a difference opening the tram gates and allowing some trafic down there  - of course they might have had to think about the trafic lights around Hillsborough  so perhaps perhaps not such a good idea because I don't think the trafic people do joined up thinking

Now I am sure many people might have checked before leaving home on the day of the flooding and perhaps the next day but most have better things to do than start checking especially as chances are for many they could not do anything about the issue anyway

6 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

I don't think the trafic people do joined up thinking

Then how come they have and urban traffic control system that operates all the traffic signals in the city,  a well staffed control room where operators can see most of the major junctions via CCTV and change the timing plans o directly operate the signals if need be?

6 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

YES it would have made a difference opening the tram gates and allowing some trafic down there  

And how do you suppose they could have done that?

There are fixed signs and automatic enforcement cameras. The cameras can be switched off, but fixed signs would have had to be covered up and numerous extra signs put up to advise motorists that they were able to use that route. How are the Council going to get around and do that when the roads are already congested?

This occasion was a one-off occurrence. You can't expect the Council to have a contingency plan in place for every single eventuality. Very occasionally stuff happens and as a consequence, the roads get snarled up for a while Not the end of the world is it?

12 hours ago, Bigal1 said:

The trams were held up between Middlewood and leppings Lane and once clear of the junction then as far as I could see had a clear run so YES it would have made a difference opening the tram gates and allowing some trafic down there  - of course they might have had to think about the trafic lights around Hillsborough  so perhaps perhaps not such a good idea because I don't think the trafic people do joined up thinking

In that scenario, if city bound traffic via Langsett / Infirmary Rd was given greater priority by the lights at Hillsborough Corner, all you'd do is create a huge jam back up Holme Lane and beyond.